Board diversity and inclusivity statement
The Board of Trustees recognises its responsibility to champion diversity and inclusivity throughout Girlguiding
Girlguiding is part of a global youth movement that celebrates diversity and inclusivity and is committed to equality and respect for all our existing and prospective young members, adults, volunteers, staff and Trustees.
The Board of Trustees recognises its responsibility to champion diversity and inclusivity throughout Girlguiding and seeks to achieve this through:
- modelling a culture of diversity and inclusivity at board level
- championing diverse and inclusive practices throughout the organisation, underpinned by clear organisational policies and procedures
- ensuring that organisational strategy and culture reflect the organisation-wide commitment to diversity, and
- setting targets and performance metrics as appropriate to support progress towards diversity and inclusion.
The Board of Trustees recognises the value of a diverse board composed of people with the relevant blend of differing skills, experience, perspectives and characteristics.
The Board believes that effective leadership and good decision-making is enabled through a diverse board membership, a culture of listening to, and acting on, diverse perspectives and, having board behaviours that embody respect, openness and constructive challenge.
Review and monitoring
The Board will review and monitor the implementation of this statement to ensure its effectiveness and will at an appropriate time set measurable objectives for achieving board diversity.
A summary of this statement and any measurable objectives will be disclosed in the Annual Report published on the Girlguiding website and included in any Trustee induction.
Board diversity objectives
The Board supported by the Nominations and governance committee adopts the following objectives and will:
1. Annually review the composition of the Board to consider:
- the balance of skills and competencies required to ensure alignment with the Charity’s mission and strategic priorities.
- the diversity of Board members ensuring there is a relevant blend of differing skills, experience, perspectives and characteristics.
- the Board behaviour and culture.
2. Recruit Trustees through an open and transparent process, proactively promoting opportunities through diverse networks, media and social media and inclusive recruitment processes that provide opportunities for diverse candidates to be considered for appointment.
3. Make all appointments on merit, taking account of the specific skills and lived experience, independence and knowledge needed to ensure a rounded Board and the diversity benefits each candidate can bring to the overall Board composition.
4. Provide ongoing training and development for individual Board members and the Board as a whole to develop and maintain a culture of respect, openness and constructive challenge as part of a high performing Board.
5. Set and work towards achieving specific diversity targets, to be confirmed.
6. Create clearer pathways for individuals within Girlguiding to develop the skills and experience they need to be able to take on governance and national Trustee roles.
Approved and adopted by the Board
Date: 28 September 2019
Date of next review: September 2021