Girl-led residentials

Support Guides and Rangers to plan and run their own residentials

We know that many Guides and Rangers love to run residentials.

For all girl-led residentials, the organisers (the permit holder or a leader if it’s a patrol camp) must do the following: 

Guide camp permit

A Guide aged 12 or 13 can run a camp for up to 7 other Guides if she holds, or is working towards, her Guide camp permit. If the Guide is 12, she should run her camp at the same time and venue as her unit camp. 

  • If only 2 Guides have camped before, there can be 3 to 5 Guides in total. If 3 Guides have camped before, there can be 8 Guides in total. 
  • All Guides must have permission from their unit leader. 
  • The site must be an approved Girlguiding venue in private grounds within 10 minutes walking distance of a Girlguiding adult volunteer who can help if needed. They must hold a safe space level 3. 
  • The assessment camp must last 2 or 3 nights. 

The lead away permit

Rangers or young leaders who hold, or are working towards, the lead away permit can take away a group of between 4 to 8 Rangers or young leaders, including themselves, for 2 or more nights without needing an adult leader.

The Ranger or young leader holding or working towards the permit must:

  • Get approval from her leader and commissioner for the event and the venue with a completed REN form.
  • If she's going on an non-DofE expedition, get her route plans approved as outlined on our page on members walking without a leader.
  • Appoint an adult supervisor who will be available at all times and is within 30 minutes’ travelling time. They must hold a safe space level 3.

Any member over the age of 18 holding their permit and taking away girls under the age of 18, must complete the Girlguiding recruitment and vetting process, be listed on GO as a district, division or county helper and undertake a criminal record disclosure check.

Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expeditions

Members doing their DofE expeditions through Girlguiding need to:

  • Have an approved DofE expedition notification (DEN) form in place for their expedition. 
  • Have an adult supervisor who is qualified in the mode of travel appropriate to the terrain, who must be in the area at all times during the expedition. An appropriate adult volunteer should also be within 30 minutes’ travelling time from the expedition campsite or overnight venue whilst the expedition group are there. 
  • Make sure every member receives training for the expedition as required by DofE. 
  • Set up a home contact system for their expedition.

At peer group events (including DofE expeditions), recruitment checks for participants over the age of 18 are not required.

If you have completed the lead away permit and the leadership development programme you can be credited with the some modules of the going away with scheme.

To make sure this happens, you need to take the following steps.

  1. Get in contact with a going away with scheme mentor. Your commissioner or residential adviser will put you in touch.
  2. Share your lead away permit workbook, your lead away permit certificate and any other evidence you have of your lead away permit with the mentor, and discuss the syllabus of the going away with scheme modules you'll be credited with. You do not have to redo any of the modules that are relevant to you. However, it may identify any training or support needs you have, and the mentor will ensure you are up to date with Girlguiding regulations and guidance on residential events..
  3. Your mentor can contact your county GO coordinator and get your GO record updated with the relevant modules.
  4. Start planning your next exciting residential with your unit!

There’s more information on how the permit helps towards your going away with scheme in the guidance notes for the lead away permit.

If going overseas with Scouts or another organisation, or participating in expeditions such as the Explorer Belt, you must read and follow guidance on activities with other organisations.