The Big Help Out
Roll up your sleeves and help out in your local community
Join in the Big Help Out – the UK’s biggest ever volunteer recruitment drive.
Let’s show how Girlguiding volunteers help all girls know they can do anything.
You may have seen in the media recently that everyone is being encouraged by the King to roll up their sleeves to help out in their local community as part of the coronation celebrations.
The Big Help Out starts on Monday, 8 May and carries on through the summer. This is the UK’s biggest volunteer recruitment drive since the London 2012 Olympics. The Big Help Out app ,which promotes volunteering opportunities, was launched on Monday and has already been downloaded by 24,000 people in its first day!
Girlguiding is an official partner of the Big Help Out. This is a fantastic opportunity for us to shout about Girlguiding, promote our volunteering opportunities and meet new people locally.
What to do
- Organise Girlguiding Big Help Out events to attract new volunteers in your area: Through events we can show people how Girlguiding volunteers help all girls know they can do anything and talk about the opportunities available in their area. It doesn’t matter whether your event is on the Big Help Out day itself or in the weeks and months after the Coronation. You can download the Big Help Out materials to show everyone you’re taking part.
- Publicise your recruitment event using the Big Help Out app and website: If you let us know about your event, we can help you publicise it through the Big Help Out campaign. Email [email protected] and pop Big Help Out in the subject title, letting us know the date, time and details of your event and we'll put it on the Big Help Out site and app for you.
Ideas for your events
There are so many ways you can shout about how great volunteering for Girlguiding is. Volunteers not only help girls know they can do anything, but also meet new friends, learn new skills and build their confidence.
If you're already planning an event in May, think about whether you can link it to the Big Help Out and use it to meet potential new volunteers.
For lots of ideas look at the running a recruitment drive hints and tips on the website such as:
- Encouraging girls to ‘bring an adult’ to a unit meeting – whether you plan a fun, hands-on meeting for everyone at once, or invite them to take turns over the summer term.
- Setting up a recruitment stall in your local supermarket and talking to people about how great volunteering is and the opportunities available.
- Using the online design centre, you can choose to print a volunteer recruitment poster or postcard. For social media recruitment drives, you can use our social media graphics in our refreshed brand, or download materials.
Once you have decided on your event, please tell your communications lead in your country or region, and let us know if you want it listed on the Big Help Out app and website. And don’t forget to share on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram what you’re doing, making sure you tag @girlguiding in your post.
Let’s all get involved! The growth network is here to support you, so for any questions, please get in touch with your growth network adviser. Further information on the coronation and the Big Help Out will be shared over the coming weeks.