Taking girls abroad

Take your girls on international residentials, day trips and meet other guiding members abroad

Give your girls an experience they'll never forget

You'll need to fulfil all the requirements for residentials in the UK and do some extra training, depending on the type of trip.

Training you need

To take girls abroad on a residential, you must:

Your commissioner will approve and sign your residential event notification (REN) form for international events. It will then be sent by them to your local international adviser as well as to your country and region office. 

Going on day trips

You don't need the Going Away With scheme or a Residential Event Notification form to take girls on a one-day international trip, such as a day trip to France. There are five simple steps that you need to take.

  1. Inform your district commissioner of your plans.
  2. Inform your county international adviser and country and region office.
  3. Organise travel insurance. This is a must because Girlguiding's personal accident policy only offers limited cover for medical expenses of members travelling overseas. Unity Insurance Services offers a bespoke travel insurance policy for Girlguiding members.
  4. If the trip is in the EU, organise European Health Insurance cards (EHIC). These are essential for all members visiting any country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. An EHIC application form is available from your local Post Office, or you can apply online.
  5. Make sure you have received completed Information and Consent for Event/Activity forms and Health Information for International Travel forms for each participant.

International partnerships

Partnerships with guiding groups in other countries can be one-off or ongoing arrangements, and can provide girls with life-long memories and lasting friendships.

To link with an overseas unit, contact the country's Guide or Girl Scout Association. You can find details on the World Association of Girl Guides and Girls Scouts (WAGGGS) website.

Read our guidelines for planning international partnerships.

To link with a unit in the UK, contact the international commissioner at [email protected].

Travelling Abroad Grant

The Travelling Abroad Grant is for adult leaders working towards the Travelling Abroad module of the Going Away With scheme.

Leaders can apply for a grant of £100 to subsidise the cost of their travel and accommodation. A £200 grant is available if you're meeting Guides from another country or doing a community project.