A Safe Space training resources
Help volunteers to create an environment where girls can be safe and have fun
Support volunteers to create a safe space for everyone
Safety is at the heart of everything we do. Our safeguarding training helps everyone to:
- Understand their role in safeguarding and what to do
- Recognise potential safeguarding issues
- Understand our safety and safeguarding policies
- Chat to others about what to do
- Answer their questions
Who can deliver A Safe Space training?
This table outlines the various routes to delivering the A Safe Space levels. A trainer must meet all criteria of a route to deliver the training. Download a copy of this table.
Level 2 follow-up chat - These should be held by a Girlguiding A Safe Space trainer or a commissioner who is confident and comfortable in doing so and has A Safe Space Level 1-3 including modules 1-3 e-learning.
These conversations should not be seen strictly as a test and more as a two-way conversation. The volunteer should be able to ask any questions they have, and you should ascertain their understanding of the key messages from Level 2 training to be able to certify them as having completed this level.
If you like you can hold these follow-up chats before delivering a Level 3 training session with participants. This will require extra time and should be agreed with volunteers in advance. If volunteers wish to do this, the training coordinator should let the trainer know.
Do you have external safeguarding learning or experience?
Check out our recognising prior safeguarding learning and experience process to find out if you could be exempt from A Safe Space, Level 3.
Are you an external trainer or teacher and want to deliver A Safe Space training?
Check out our process for recognising learning and experience in training or teaching to find out what levels of A Safe Space training you can deliver without the Girlguiding trainer qualification.
Two trainers can deliver training together to make sure the above requirements are met.
Delivering A Safe Space training
It's important that you keep to the aims, objective and sessions plans we have provided, but we have made it easy for you to vary your sessions and adapt them to your audience by giving you a selection of activities that you can choose from.
Use these resources to deliver the revised A Safe Space Training.
All trainers please check out A Safe Space training updates in our Addendum documents.
Addendum trainers' guidance (PDF) – note for trainers on key updates since the revised A Safe Space launch including some new content
Addendum additional slides (PowerPoint) – slides for trainers use with the new content
For all levels
A very limited number of A Safe Space trainer resource packs are available through trading for Levels 1, 2 and 3 for new A Safe Space trainers. These are available for free subject to delivery costs and must be ordered by country and region offices.
A Safe Space certificate - colour (PDF)
A Safe Space certificate - greyscale (PDF)
A Safe Space explained presentation (PowerPoint)
Training materials checklist (PDF)
A Safe Space trainers feedback form - for you to complete and return after a training session. Complete the form online, or download the form and email it to us.
A Safe Space participant feedback form for local use – can be used to collect feedback for your own use, you don't need to send this one to us (Word).
Access Level 4 resources by speaking to your local commissioner, A Safe Space trainer, trainer coordinator or by emailing [email protected].
- All levels schemes of work syllabus (PDF)
- Combination session plans, levels 1-3 (Word) – contains a session plan for delivering levels 1-2 together or 1-3 together
- Training slides combined levels 1 and 2 (PPT)
- Training slides combined levels 1-3 (PPT)
- Level 3 - Trainers notes for training trainers (PDF)
- Level 2 - E-learning Module two worksheet (PDF) - includes follow-up conversation guidance and assessment sheet
- Recognising prior safeguarding learning and experience process (PDF) - please submit completed forms to your trainer coordinator or a Safe Space trainer to review.
- Recognising prior teaching and training learning and experience process for trainers to deliver A Safe Space (PDF)
- A Safe Space eLearning video transcripts (Word)