Managing property during coronavirus

Guidelines and advice for opening the Girlguiding building you manage and staying safe during the coronavirus outbreak

Last updated: 6 October 2021

How can you safely open your Girlguiding property?

In England and Wales it's not legally required for meeting places to display a QR code. However, it is good practice. We recommend that you display the code and encourage all users of the venue (aged 16 and over) to scan in using the NHS Covid-19 app. 

You may want to put this in your hire agreement and make sure users are aware of this. You can print out as many posters as you need for your space, or you can get the code on a tablet or TV if you don’t have access to a printer. For more information and a step-by-step guide to creating your QR code, visit the government website.

If you decide not to use a QR code, you'll need to make sure you have a record of anyone using your building. This could be a key contact for each group who then keeps the attendance information, especially when under 16s are using the space.

Reopening your building

The management committee of any property owned or managed by Girlguiding will decide when they want to reopen their building. 

As usual, the management committee has a legal responsibility under health and safety law to make sure the property is safe for users, so we recommend that you do not reopen before you have completed a Covid-19 risk assessment. There will be safety and compliance issues that you'll need to address. 

To help you with this process you can use our checklist and risk assessment template. We've based this on government guidance and information from ACRE (Action with Communities in Rural England), but it should apply to all locations and types of property. 

Download the property checklist and risk assessment template (Word) 

You do not have to reopen immediately. Take the time to complete the risk assessment and feel confident you can safely open. 

It's important that you go through the risk assessment template and adapt it to your property. You'll also need to adapt the checklist, using information from your risk assessment. 


  • You need to regularly update your risk assessment as requirements change. 
  • The property management committee are responsible for the risk assessment. You do not need to have your risk assessment signed off by anyone else.  
  • You have a legal responsibility to protect employees and others from health and safety risks.

Different guidance might apply in your area, so check the official advice for your location before risk assessing your building. 

Covid responsible guidelines

These Covid responsible guidelines are for buildings in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. They will help you understand the steps needed to safety run your property. 

To be Covid responsible you must: 

  • Minimise contact with people who are unwell - if someone has coronavirus symptoms or is self-isolating, they should not enter the property.
  • Clean your hands often - make sure that sanitiser or soap and water is available at entry and exit points. And that you have sanitiser or running water, soap and paper towels/hot air driers in toilets and kitchens. 
  • Practice good respiratory hygiene - encourage everyone to avoid touching their mouth, eyes, and nose. Tissues need to be thrown away in a bin, then hands cleaned. A “Catch it, bin it, kill it” poster is available to download. 
  • Regularly clean surfaces that are touched a lot - this includes door handles, handrails, tabletops, sinks, toilet areas, and kitchen surfaces. You can clean with ordinary domestic products. 
  • Maximise air ventilation - open windows and doors where possible. 

Make sure that you are following social distancing and occupancy guidelines for your country.  

You can help users and hirers feel confident about being in your space by letting them know what you are doing to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus.

Working with anyone who hires your property is key to making sure the property is safe to use and everyone understands the expectations as well as their own responsibilities.

Further guidance

For property in England:

For property in Scotland:

For property in Wales