What is peer education?
4 (peer education) is Girlguiding's innovative programme that trains members of The Senior Section to empower themselves and others to make a difference in the lives of girls throughout the UK
We're empowering girls to empower their peers
Girlguiding's peer education programme is such an important way of reaching girls - through their peers, within Girlguiding's safe, girl-only space. - Olivia, 23, Peer Educator
Peer Educators are 14 to 25 year olds who help Brownies, Guides and The Senior Section explore important topics. As young people, they use their own experience to bring the subject to life.
Being girl-led makes all the difference
It works because girls are eager to listen to their peers who share similar life experiences.
Peer Educators run fun, safe and challenging sessions which we develop with expert partners. They can deliver sessions on:
- Think Resilient - gives Brownies, Guides and members of The Senior Section the tools to build their mental well-being. Developed with YoungMinds
- Free Being Me – grows girls' body confidence and self-esteem. Developed with WAGGGS and the Dove Self-Esteem Project.
- Breaking Free - gives girls the tools to challenge gender stereotypes. Developed with expert academics, CEOs and charities.
- Healthy Relationships – helps Brownies to be good and safe friends, and helps Guides and The Senior Section to tell whether a romantic relationship is healthy. Developed with AVA and Women's Aid
- Youth Health – empowers Guides and members of The Senior Section to make their own decisions about alcohol, smoking, drugs and sex. Developed with the Department of Health.
Request a Peer Educator
Find out how to request a Peer Educator to come and run a session with your Brownie, Guide or Senior Section unit.