From budgeting to food hygiene - learn all about catering at a residential with our catering scheme
Learn how to cater at a Girlguiding residential event with our catering scheme.
Our catering scheme will equip you with everything you need to know about catering - from planning and buying supplies to hygiene and safety.
You don't need this qualification if you'll simply be helping to prepare and cook food at a Girlguiding event or residential. However, if you're the event coordinator responsible for organising catering at a residential event, you'll need to hold or be working towards the Going Away With licence and module 5 of the Going Away With scheme.
Who can complete this scheme?
The catering scheme is open to all members aged 18 and over, and non-members aged 18 and over who've been recorded on GO as residential occasional helpers.
What will I learn?
This scheme is made up of four modules.
- Organising catering arrangements: budgeting for food, organising your kitchen and buying ingredients.
- Food hygiene: ensuring food is prepared safely so no one gets ill.
- Organising the kitchen: overseeing daily rotas, food preparation and serving, and dealing with any problems.
- Concluding an event: returning equipment and carrying out post-event administration.
This qualification is assessed practically, so you'll need to plan and carry out the catering for a residential event to complete it. Along the way, you'll be assessed by a mentor, and will need to keep a record of evidence to show what you've done.
How much will it cost?
Nothing. The scheme can be downloaded for free.
Remember: you'll need to organise catering at an event as part of this qualification, so it's important to consider the cost of this too.
How do I get started?
- Contact your local commissioner, who'll put you in touch with an appropriate adviser in your area.
- Download a copy of the catering scheme.
- Your adviser will then help you to find a suitable mentor, who can support you through the scheme.
Download the catering scheme
Download a copy of the catering scheme.