Moving sections and changing units

Got a girl who needs to move up - or a volunteer moving away? Learn how to manage members leaving your unit

How to transfer a unit member

If a girl in your unit is ready to move up to the next section, follow these steps.

  1. Speak with the young member and her parents or carers, to decide which unit she'd like to go to.
  2. When you know her new unit, pass the young member's registration number on to the leader of that unit. You will need to do this manually, by phone, email or in person.
  3. There's no need to pass on any other personal details to the new leader as these will already be on GO.
  4. It's then  the responsibility of the new unit leader to add the young member’s record to her unit.

Girls moving away from your area

If a young member is moving away from your local area and wants to continue guiding closer to her new home, there are a few steps you can take to make her transition as smooth as possible.

  1. Give her membership number to her parents or carers. 
  2. Ask her parents to use GO to find a new unit that works for them.
  3. On the first page of the GO enquiry form, they will be able to state the nature of their enquiry. In this box they should select 'Want to rejoin or I have moved house'.
  4. When they select this option, they will have the opportunity to add their daughter's existing membership number. This will mean her guiding history is maintained and she won't have two duplicate records on the system.

Parents and carers can also call us on 0800 1 69 59 01 to register their daughter.

How to transfer adult volunteers

If an adult volunteer wants to change units, they simply need to let their local commissioner know. In the case of volunteers who are moving within the same area, they can ask their existing commissioner to assign them to a new unit.

Those moving further away can use Join Us to get in touch with the team in their new area. They can also call us on the above number to be put in touch with a local contact.

How to add a girl who has been transferred to your unit

Received a young member's registration number and wish to transfer her to your unit? See our helpfile on transferring to another unit within the help zone of GO.