Moving sections and changing units
Got a girl who needs to move up - or a volunteer moving away? Learn how to manage members leaving your unit
How to transfer a unit member
If a girl in your unit is ready to move up to the next section, follow these steps to make sure she can continue her guiding journey.
- Arrange to speak with the young member and her parents or carers, to decide which unit she would like to go to.
- Once her new unit has been chosen, pass the young member's registration number to the leader of that unit. You will need to do this manually, by phone, email or in person.
- There is no need to pass on any other personal details to the new leader as these will already be on GO.
- It will then be the responsibility of the new unit leader to add the young member’s record to her unit.
Forms are no longer necessary to transfer members to another unit or section.
Girls moving away from your area
If a young member is moving away from your local area and wishes to continue guiding closer to her new home, there are a few steps you can take to make her transition as smooth as possible.
- Provide the young member's parents with her membership number.
- Ask her parents to use GO to find a new unit that works for them.
- On the first page of the GO enquiry form, they will be able to state the nature of their enquiry. In this box they should select 'Want to rejoin or I have moved house'.
- When they select this option, they will have the opportunity to add their daughter's existing membership number. This will mean her guiding history is maintained and she won't have two duplicate records on the system.
Parents and carers can also call us on 0800 1 69 59 01 to register their daughter.
How to transfer adult volunteers
If an adult volunteer wants to change units, they simply need to let their local Commissioner know. In the case of volunteers who are moving within the same area, they can ask their existing Commissioner to assign them to a new unit.
Those moving further away can use Join Us to get in touch with the team in their new area. They can also call us on the above number to be put in touch with a local contact.
How to add a girl who has been transferred to your unit
Received a young member's registration number and wish to transfer her to your unit? See our helpfile on transferring to another unit within the help zone of GO.