A Safe Space, Level 3 – Recognising, telling and taking action
How you recognise signs of abuse and how you respond to allegations, disclosures or concerns
Who is level 3 for?
For anyone leading a team of adults, at least one leader per unit (leader, assistant leader, leader in training), mentors, advisers, coordinators (except GO coordinators), licence holders on residentials, trainers, tutors and those that need Level 4.
Don't forget you will also need to complete Levels 1 and 2.
By 31 December 2020 everyone needs to have the correct level of A Safe Space training for their role. You may have your membership withdrawn if you do not complete the levels you need by this date. Find out what happens if you haven't completed your training.
You’ll learn about
- What to do if someone tells you about a concern, allegation or disclosure
- How to recognise there is a concern
- How you can support and help someone tell their story safely
- How to take action and with whom
- Where to get help
How long does it take?
- Training session 3 to 3.5 hours. Ask your commissioner or country/region office for details next one is.
Already have safeguarding expertise or experience outside of guiding?
There is no recognised prior safeguarding learning and experience available for A Safe Space Levels 1, 2 and 4. This is because the content covered in these levels explains specific Girlguiding approaches to safeguarding. You will need to have completed Levels 1 and 2 (face to face training or e-learning) and downloaded the booklet above before completing the form.
To ensure the process is as smooth as possible, take a look at these top tips:
- Use the form linked above, make sure you complete every box.
- Attach the evidence required. This needs to demonstrate the qualification you have as well as the designated lead role. You can share certificates and even a name badge showing your designated lead role.
- Make sure your evidence has not expired, if there’s less than a year on this, are you able to share anything else?
- Don’t forget to share a screenshot of the completed e-learning courses on your GO record.
- If your certificate doesn’t detail the course content, are you able to find a webpage with this on or ask your employer to confirm that they are equivalent to the A Safe Space Level 3 outcomes?
Check out our recognising prior safeguarding learning and experience process to be exempt from Level 3.
Please submit completed forms to your A Safe Space trainer, training coordinator or your country or region office.