Get out on the water with our narrowboating courses
Give your girls a trip they'll never forget - take one of our narrowboating courses and learn how to become a skipper!
Become a Girlguiding skipper
Navigate locks, explore waterways and even sleep aboard a boat - these courses will develop your skills so that you can take girls on narrowboating adventures.
Who can apply?
The courses below are open to all Girlguiding members aged 18 and over. Some courses are for beginners, and for others you will need some prior boating experience - contact the relevant training team to check.
What will I learn?
Most Counties and Regions are running Modules of the Girlguiding Narrowboating Scheme - which covers the theory, knowledge and practical skills you need to take girls out on the water. It includes three compulsory modules on:
- boat handling
- taking girls afloat.
Some Regions are also offering taster days, events for girls, and further learning and development opportunities for more experienced skippers.
When are the courses running?
Courses run throughout the year, and are organised by training teams in Countries and Regions.
You don't have to be from the relevant Region to go on any of these narrowboating courses – they're open to all members aged over 18.
- 29-31 March 2019 - Warrickshire - the cost is £85 to include training, handouts and food; it will be based on Centenary, a 70ft narrow boat moored at Hillmorton Wharf, Rugby, Warwickshire; and the course is limited to 6 participants with two trainers. Contact Vicki James - [email protected]
- 2019 Trainers and Assessors weekend - 26th to 28th April. Contact [email protected] to book
- All year round – Narrowboating Scheme Modules 1 to 4 training and assessment. At Falcon Adam, Kennet and Avon canal. See the Falcon Adam training flyer for more information.
- 14th - 15th September - Refresher weekend on board Lady Hilda at Great Bedwyn on the Kennet and Avon canal - please see the flyer for more information
- 18th - 20th October - Refresher weekend on board Falcon Adam at Aldermaston on the Kennet and Avon canal - please see the flyer for more information
How can I find out more and book?
For more information about these courses, contact the relevant training team listed above. Alternatively, you can email [email protected] and we will put you in touch.
Marie, Guide Leader Took her girls on a narrowboat trip
Spending a weekend together in such a small space was so different to the usual hour and a half on Guides night.
I will never forget cooking s'mores (a biscuit and marshmallow sandwich) over candles over the towpath. It looked so pretty in the pitch-black night.