Setting up a home contact system

Set up a home contact system to make sure parents, carers and members know what's happening in event of an emergency

What you need to know about setting up a home contact system

When you are taking part in an activity outside of your normal meeting place and time, you should assign a responsible adult as a 'home contact'. A home contact is a person that you have invited to act as a first point of contact if plans change, or if an accident or emergency occurs.

Who can I ask to be home contact?

Your home contact:

  • must be available to be contacted at any time during the event or activity
  • cannot be related to any member of your group.

How do I set up a home contact?

Before the event or activity, you need to ensure that your home contact has:

  • complete details of the activity or event (including locations, travel arrangements, routes, schedules, activities and expected return time)
  • the names of all participants with emergency contact telephone numbers during the event for each one - you can run a report in Go! to produce this list
  • details of the home Commissioner (or her nominee) and, for residential events, the host Adviser.

What does the home contact need to do?

In the event of an accident or emergency, follow our guidance on what to do in an emergency. After engaging any relevant emergency or rescue services, update your home contact with:

  • details of the accident or emergency
  • the names of the participant(s) requiring assistance
  • the action that has been taken.

Depending on the situation, the home contact should then:

  • inform the emergency contacts of the participant(s) involved
  • contact the home Commissioner (or her nominee) giving names and telephone numbers of next of kin     
  • maintain communication to ensure that the appropriate emergency and guiding personnel are kept informed of the situation
  • if appropriate, notify the host Commissioner or Adviser of the accident or emergency.

The home contact must shred all personal data after the activity or event has finished.