Accessible guiding grant
If you're a young member or a volunteer who needs additional support to access guiding, this grant can give you financial help
A grant to help make guiding accessible for all members.
We want all our young members and volunteers to have a great guiding experience and take part in all we have to offer. This grant helps to support young members with additional needs access all areas of the programme, from unit meetings through to international trips. It can also help volunteers who need additional support to carry out their guiding role.
What do we mean by additional needs?
‘Additional needs’ is a general term used to refer to an individual situation which might require an adaption or adjustment to help a member or volunteer access Girlguiding.
Additional needs could include (but aren't limited to) mental health problems, physical impairments, learning disabilities or long-standing medical conditions. Examples might include:
- Hearing impairment
- Cerebral Palsy
- Visual impairment
Who can apply for the grant?
This fund is available for:
- Young members and volunteers with additional needs.
- Volunteers or units supporting young members or volunteers with additional needs.
How much funding is available?
Each application, and the amount of funding requested, is considered on an individual basis.
What does the funding cover?
The grant can be used to cover the cost of:
- One to one support for members with additional needs to attend a trip, camp or holiday (this must be their only role on the event).
- Accessible transport for members with additional needs to attend a trip, camp or holiday.
- Specialist equipment and resources purchased specifically to enable an individual to take part in guiding activities.
- Training and development to promote awareness of individuals’ needs or practical knowledge to support young members and volunteers.
- Providing support to make activities more accessible for members at Girlguiding events.
- Providing communication support to members or volunteers during guiding events.
Unfortunately we can’t accept applications for:
- Volunteer buddies or paid carers for members to attend unit meetings.
- Transport to and from unit meetings.
- Members of the Trefoil Guild or Trefoil Guild projects.
- Adaptations to buildings or premises where guiding events or meetings take place.
Making your application
Remember that your application should be signed by a member of your county or country or region team with specialist knowledge of additional needs, along with your local commissioner.