Gift Aid on subs

Claim Gift Aid on subs and raise more money for your guiding adventures

Did you know you can claim Gift Aid on your unit subs?

Gift Aid is a great way to bring in additional income to your unit - you can get 25p from the government for every £1 you receive in subs.

Follow our step-by-step guide to claim more money for your unit and provide girls with even more opportunities and activities.

Register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

Read through our instructions on how to register for Gift Aid with HMRC. You only need to do this once.

Collect Gift Aid declarations from parents

Parents must complete a Gift Aid declaration form in order for their subs to be eligible for Gift Aid.

Parents of new members

The Starting... Rainbows/Brownies/Guides/Rangers leaflets contain a form with a Gift Aid declaration. By signing this form, new parents give the necessary permission for Gift Aid.

Once a Gift Aid declaration has been signed, it is valid until the donor notifies you otherwise. You should keep the gift aid form for at least seven years from the date it was first signed. You must also keep the form for six years after the last gift aid claim was made (which may be later than the date it was first signed).   

Parents of current unit members

Any claims can be backdated by four years - so you could raise quite a lot of donations by asking parents of existing members to backdate a declaration to their daughter’s start date, or by four years.

Some parents may have already signed the Gift Aid declaration on the Starting.. forms when their daughter first joined. In this case, you just need to start claiming.

If a parent did not sign the Gift Aid part of the Starting … leaflets when their daughter joined, ask them to complete a Gift Aid declaration form which can be downloaded here.

Tips for asking parents to sign the form

  • Give the form to parents at the same time as you request payment for subscriptions. Make it as easy as possible for them to return the form with their next payment by including an envelope.
  • If subscriptions are paid weekly, give parents the form with an explanatory leaflet one week and ask them to bring the signed form back the next week.
  • If they lose their form, simply ask them to sign another one.

Although it may seem time-consuming, when this process is up-and-running the money coming into your local unit could rise by up to 25 per cent.

Gift Aid can only be claimed on subscription monies paid by an individual UK income taxpayer.

Keep track of Gift Aid documentation

Make sure you set up a file to keep track of all documents related to Gift Aid in your unit. In this file, you should have:

  • a spreadsheet that details which girls in your unit have Gift Aid declarations signed by their parents
  • any correspondence with HMRC, including claims made
  • a record of subscriptions received to support the Gift Aid claims made - filed alphabetically by each girl's name.

If you already have a unit accounts spreadsheet, just add a column to record whether you have a Gift Aid declaration for each girl.

Make sure signed declarations are safely filed away for six years and can be easily retrieved.

Submit your claim form

Claims can be made online, on paper or via your own database. It is best practice to claim once a year at a time that is in line with your accounting period. However claims can be submitted more than once a year and at any time that suits you. If you choose to submit your claims more than once a year, claims need to be for at least £100 Gift Aid each time.

Learn how to claim

For full details of how to claim, download our Gift Aid information pack.