Personal Accident and Medical insurance

Our personal accident or medical expenses policy covers you in case you have an accident

You can claim medical and other expenses if you have an accident doing recognised guiding activities

This policy covers members - or anyone acting on behalf of Girlguiding - when they undertake a recognised guiding activity.

What does the policy include?

The policy provides benefits in the event of:

  • death
  • permanent total disablement
  • loss of limbs
  • temporary total disablement
  • loss of sight.

The policy includes:

  • medical expenses incurred arising out of an accident
  • private medical expenses - only if treatment is not available on the NHS and with the insurer's prior consent
  • professional counselling in the event of a serious accident
  • emergency bandaging and prescription charges up to a maximum of £35
  • travel and incidental expenses up to a limit of £500
  • personal effects and clothing - if damaged as a result of an accident
  • dental treatment arising from an accident, subject to prior consent by insurers and with professional reports from a dentist. There is a maximum sum payable under this section.

The cover under the personal accident policy used to change at 75. However, the policy has been updated so that all members receive the same benefits from the policy no matter what their age. 

What doesn't the policy include?

The policy does not cover:

  • the loss or theft of personal possessions including personal affects, clothing and money
  • travel insurance and incidental expenses such as cancellation of holidays, child-minding expenses or illness.

The above needs to be covered under a travel insurance policy, household policy or separate cover. A travel insurance policy must be arranged for every trip abroad with guiding.

How to claim against the policy

If you would like to claim under this policy, please contact the Girlguiding Insurance team.

Claims need to be made within a 12 month period of the accident. There is an excess under this policy of £25 - increasing to £50 for anyone under 10 - in respect of medical care. This means that you pay the initial £25 (or £50 for anyone under 10) cost of any treatment and the remaining cost is covered by the policy.

Contact our Insurance team

For more information, please contact our Insurance team, either by telephone on 0845 260 1053 or by emailing [email protected]