Personal Accident and Medical insurance
Our personal accident or medical expenses policy covers you in case you have an accident
You can claim medical and other expenses if you have an accident doing recognised guiding activities
We have two policies that provide cover - a members' benefit scheme to cover incidental expenses and a personal accident policy for permanent serious injuries. These policies cover members - or anyone acting on behalf of Girlguiding - when they undertake a recognised guiding activity.
Members' benefit scheme
Girlguiding has a discretionary fund for members to pay for certain expenses not covered by insurance policies. It covers expenses resulting from an accident or incident while taking part in guiding activities including:
- medical expenses arising out of an accident including wheelchair hire and prescription charges
- private medical expenses - only if treatment is not available on the NHS and with Girlguiding's approval
- professional counselling if appropriate
- travel and incidental expenses
- personal items and clothing - if damaged as a result of an accident
- dental treatment arising from an accident, subject to prior consent by Girlguiding and with professional reports from a dentist.
These are payable up to a maximum sum outlined in the benefit scheme document
What doesn't the members' benefit scheme include?
The policy does not cover:
- the loss or theft of personal possessions including personal items, clothing and money
- travel insurance and incidental expenses such as cancellation of holidays, child-minding expenses or illness.
The above needs to be covered under a travel insurance policy, household policy or separate cover. A travel insurance policy must be arranged for every trip abroad with guiding.
The insurance department should be notified of any accidents or incidents using the Notification of Accident or Incident form. No claim will be accepted without a form.
How to claim against the members' benefit scheme
If your accident is eligible for the benefit scheme, you will receive a claim form and copy of the scheme with your accident acknowledgement letter. Receipts and supporting information will be required for every item being requested. The completed form and documentation need to be sent back to the Insurance department. If you didn't receive a claim form but think that your accident qualifies, please contact the Insurance department.
Personal accident policy
Girlguiding take out a Personal accident policy which covers members - or anyone acting on behalf of Girlguiding - when they undertake a recognised guiding activity. This covers permanent injuries incurred during guiding activities including travel to and from the activity.
What does the Personal Accident policy include?
The policy provides benefits in the event of:
- permanent total disablement
- loss of limbs
- temporary total disablement
- loss of sight and hearing.
The cover under the Personal accident policy used to change at age 75. However, the policy has been updated so that all members receive the same benefits from the policy no matter what their age.
How to claim against the Personal accident policy
If you suffered a permanent injury and are interested in making a claim against this policy, please contact the Insurance department for more information. Claims need to be made within a 12 month period of the accident.