Public liability insurance

Learn more about our public liability insurance policy for members and what it covers

Girlguiding's public liability insurance gives you cover for guiding activities

It protects Girlguiding and our members against claims of negligence by Girlguiding, or persons acting on Girlguiding's behalf, that causes damage to third party property or injury to third parties. The cover includes the cost of legal action.

Who is covered?

The policy covers Girlguiding members, or anyone acting on behalf of Girlguiding, while taking part in a recognised guiding activity. As a member, you do not have to be in guiding wear for our policy to cover you, but you must adhere to all rules and policies outlined by Girlguiding associated with the activity - otherwise any claim may be invalidated.

The policy is in respect of acts by members of Girlguiding and does not cover acts of members of other organisations when participating in joint activities. These people should have their own public liability insurance.

Our insurance covers public liability arising out of the ownership of guiding buildings or non-owned buildings while being used for guiding activities. For more information about hiring out your hall to non-guiding groups, please see the page on hiring out your hall .

Our insurance covers against claims of negligence but does not cover damage to guide property and contents. For example, if you own a guide property and you let the roof get into a state of disrepair and a roof tile falls off which injures a passer-by, our public liability insurance would cover a claim made against you by the passer-by.  It would not however cover the cost of repairing your roof. You will need to arrange your own building and contents insurance.

Details of our policy

Why might I need to show I am covered?

It is useful to have the certificate available for many aspects of running your unit. Some meeting places require a copy of the public liability insurance certificate before letting you hire. Also, you might need to show the certificate if you are holding a stand at an event.

Checking public liability insurance for other organisations

  • If you are hiring your venue, make sure that the person who owns the venue has their own public liability insurance cover for up to five million pounds. You may need to sign a hire agreement with them.
  • If you are holding a joint event, you will need to check that the other organisation has a similar level of public liability insurance to Girlguiding.
  • If you are undertaking an activity, make sure that the activity provider has public liability insurance cover for up to five million pounds.
  • If you are asked to sign a contract to undertake activities or hire a venue, please make sure you read and fully understand the terms. You may be accepting liability on behalf of Girlguiding which might include duties or responsibilities not covered by our public liability insurance. If you have any concerns about the terms of a contract, please contact our Insurance Department.

Contact our insurance team

For more information, please contact our Insurance team, either by telephone on 0845 260 1053 or by emailing [email protected]