What your annual subscription pays for
How the membership fee you pay supports our work with girls and young women
Every year we ask every member, both volunteers and girls, to pay a subscription – our name for our membership fee.
Without subscriptions, we couldn’t support our incredible volunteers to inspire girls to be their best. So, thank you for continuing to support and believe in our work.
The final amount you pay for subs goes towards running costs at every level of guiding. This means that the Girlguiding HQ amount of the subscription is only one part. The rest goes to your district, division, county or country and region.
Talk to your commissioner for information about how subs help local guiding in your area.
In 2022 the Girlguiding HQ subscription is £21.00. This increase is needed so we can uphold our high standards of safety and meet the regulations expected of us as a youth organisation of our size.
The Girlguiding HQ £21 will go towards:
Girlguiding support for girls and volunteers
- Ongoing development of the core programme to keep it fresh and modern.
- Providing a safe framework and training for volunteers to provide fantastic adventures and opportunities for girls.
- Overseeing the Queen’s Guide award and other youth awards like the Duke of Edinburgh scheme.
- Providing opportunities and programme development for young people who want to volunteer for Girlguiding and build their leadership skills.
- Learning and development opportunities such as e-learning, new training content and supporting our network of volunteer trainers.
- Technology including continuous development of GO (our membership database) and new e-learning platforms.
- Support and advice for our amazing commissioners.
Keeping girls and volunteers safe
- Safeguarding: providing a professional case management service.
- A Safe Space training including e-learnings, virtual and face-to-face training.
- Support and advice for volunteers on keeping girls and adults safe, data protection and making or dealing with complaints.
- Insurance for regular Girlguiding activities and support with making claims if things go wrong.
- Overseeing tens of thousands of disclosure checks every year, all part of our recruitment and vetting process.
- Consistent and clear policies and procedures to make it easy for volunteers to know what to do and how to do it.
Giving girls a voice
- Girl-led campaigns such as Future Girl, all designed to improve girls’ and young women’s lives.
Effective charity management
- Developing and delivering our strategy and plans to make the best use of our resources to the benefit of girls and in support of our volunteers.
- Management of our properties including our activity centres, so volunteers and girls can attend events and go camping
- Connecting with other charities and youth sector bodies to stay on top of best practice and identify opportunities to improve what we do
- Translating health and safety legislation and guidance into policies and procedures that keep all our people safe
- Supporting our board of trustees and other committees to make sure we use our resources in the best possible way to deliver our mission and vision
Investing in our future
- Income generation including fundraising
But subs are only half the story
We work hard to raise money from other sources so we can give girls an even better experience while keeping the subs as low as possible. Our money also comes from donations and legacies, grants, our shops, our Activity Centres, and our investments.