From budgeting to food hygiene - learn all about catering at a residential with our Catering Scheme
Learn how to cater at a Girlguiding residential event with our Catering Scheme
Our Catering Scheme will equip you with everything you need to know about catering - from planning and buying supplies to hygiene and safety.
Who can complete this Scheme?
The Catering Scheme is open to all members aged 18 and over, and non-members aged 18 and over who have been recorded on Go! as Residential Occasional Helpers.
What will I learn?
This Scheme is made up of four modules.
- Organising catering arrangements - budgeting for food, organising your kitchen and buying ingredients.
- Food hygiene - ensuring food is prepared safely so no one gets ill.
- Organising the kitchen - overseeing daily rotas, food preparation and serving, and dealing with any problems.
- Concluding an event - returning equipment and carrying out post-event administration.
This qualification is assessed practically, so you will need to plan and carry out the catering for a residential event to complete it. Along the way, you will be assessed by a Mentor, and will need to keep a record of evidence to show what you have done.
How much will it cost?
Nothing. The Scheme can be downloaded for free.
Remember: you'll need to organise catering at an event as part of this qualification, so it's important to consider the cost of this too.
How do I get started?
- Contact your local Commissioner, who will put you in touch with an appropriate Adviser in your area.
- Download a copy of the Catering Scheme.
- Your Adviser will then help you to find a suitable Mentor, who can support you through the Scheme.
Download the Catering Scheme
Download a copy of the Catering Scheme.