What our insurance covers
An overview of what insurance cover is provided by us and what cover you might need to arrange yourself
Make sure you have sufficient insurance cover
We know that everyone in guiding works hard to keep things safe but it's still essential that you are covered by an appropriate insurance policy for what you do.
All policies have their own terms and conditions so get in touch if you have a specific query.
Insurance provided by us
Girlguiding has arranged some insurance that covers members or anyone acting on behalf of Girlguiding when they undertake a recognised guiding activity.
Here are details of our insurance policies.
- Public liability policy - covers Girlguiding and its members if there are claims against them for damages or injury to a third party caused by their negligence
- Personal accident and medical expenses policy - covers members if they have an accident while guiding
- Employers' liability policy - covers Girlguiding if an employee at any level is injured.
These policies include guiding activities involving boats, canoes and water craft and commercial flying. They do not cover activities involving private flying or flying clubs.
Who is covered?
The people covered by the Girlguiding's insurance policies are:
- Girlguiding and all its members, prospective members and supporters
- constituent units, areas, districts, divisions, counties and Friends of Guiding
- any employee of Girlguiding
- members visiting foreign countries, whether nationals of the country concerned or not
- any person not acting as a member of another organisation who is authorised to be in charge of, supervise or assist in guiding activities
- children whilst their parents are involved in guiding activities
- Girlguiding members of Student Scout and Guide Organisations
- The Guide Association Trust Corporation
- the Trustees and members of the committee responsible for the management of any property or premises belonging to or leased to trustees for any unit
- British Girlguiding Overseas (BGO) - whether nationals of the country concerned or not
- non-members while involved in guiding activities
- The Trefoil Guild
- voluntary and part-time instructors while working for Girlguiding.
Members do not have to be in guiding wear for the policy cover to operate, but they must follow all rules and policies associated with the activities they are doing, otherwise any claim may be invalidated.
What is not covered by our insurance?
Girlguiding policies do not cover:
- liability arising out of aviation activities such as gliding or parascending - activity providers are required to provide insurance cover for these, so check our activity guidance for information
- personal belongings
- any prohibited activities.
Before you sign a contract to undertake activities or hire a venue, please make sure you read and fully understand the terms. You might be agreeing to liability on behalf of Girlguiding in terms of duties or responsibilities which would not be covered by our Public Liability insurance. If you have any concerns about the terms of a contract, please contact our Insurance Department.
Other insurance required for guiding
It is likely that you will need to take out some other insurance policies to carry out guiding activities. These might include:
- travel insurance
- vehicle insurance
- property and building insurance
- contents insurance
- depot insurance
- other Unity Insurance policies.
Before you sign a contract to undertake activities or hire a venue, make sure you read and fully understand the terms. You might be agreeing to liability on behalf of Girlguiding in terms of duties or responsibilities which would not be covered by our Public Liability insurance. If you have any concerns about the terms of a contract, please contact our Insurance team.