How to organise transport for events and activities

There are several things you need to know when organising transport for members.

If parents transport each others' daughters to guiding events, this is a private agreement between those parents. However, if transport is being arranged by the unit, District etc, there are some important things to consider.

When participants use private or public transport when taking part in guiding activities, the Leader must:

  • ensure the transport used is suitable for the purpose
  • comply with legal requirements, including the wearing of seat belts, use of booster seats and cushions as appropriate, and not exceed the normal seating capacity of the vehicle
  • make all participants aware of these requirements.

Vehicles used to transport participants for a guiding activity must be correctly licensed for carrying passengers. The only exception is a vehicle used in a carnival or fete, where permission must be given by the appropriate Commissioner. If flatbed lorries are used, Rainbows and Brownies must remain seated throughout the parade.

The Highway Code for road users and pedestrians, as appropriate, must be followed at all times.

Remember that hitch-hiking is a Girlguiding prohibited activity.

Find out more if you are planning to use a coach or minibus.

Booster seats and child restraints

Organisers of trips or residentials using their own cars as transport and encouraging parents to share transport, should be aware that all children up to 135cm tall (around 4'5"), or the age of 12, whichever comes first, must travel in the correct child restraint. Visit the GOV.UK website for further information.

Leaders transporting girls to an event are not expected to purchase booster seats or cushions – this is the responsibility of parents.

Leaders, helpers and parents collecting or taking home unit members in their own cars because their normal transport is unexpectedly not available do not require booster seats/cushions as this is ‘an occasional journey over a short distance’. This does not apply to journeys which are planned in advance.

Using your own vehicle for Girlguiding volunteering and activities

If you drive a private car, insurance cover for volunteering is likely to be included under your private motor policy - check it before using your own vehicle for Girlguiding volunteering.

If the vehicle is provided by your employer, or your spouse/partner’s employer, you should check with the employer that you are authorised to drive the vehicle for guiding or other volunteer work.

Please remember, compliance with current legislation is your responsibility.

Accidents with vehicles fall under the Road Traffic Act, so any claims would be made through the driver's own motor insurance. Motor insurance is compulsory in the UK.

More details can be found on the Vehicle Insurance page.

Leaders can transport girls in their own cars, but it is best practice for volunteers to avoid situations where they are alone with a young member. Please see Girlguiding Safety and Safeguarding policy for more information.

Hiring or borrowing a vehicle from another organisation

When hiring or borrowing a vehicle from a school or other organisation, it is the driver’s legal responsibility to check the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

Driving abroad

The Leader should be satisfied that those responsible for driving are aware of the laws for road use in the countries being visited.

Information about international licence requirements and driving regulations are available from motoring organisations such as the AA or RAC.

EC rules for driving a minibus are complex and advice should be sought from the Community Transport Association.

Make sure your vehicle is insured

Read more about how to make sure you have the right vehicle insurance.