Good safeguarding behaviours
An overview of good safeguarding behaviours
What are good safeguarding behaviours?
As volunteers you must uphold the Girlguiding’s Values and Promise and adhere to our Code of Conduct, which sets out the standards of behaviour expected of you.
In addition, all volunteers need to follow the following safeguarding behaviours which help ensure a safe space for all of us.
- Vigilance and understanding - Take time to understand situations and be alert so that you notice when something is wrong.
- Awareness - Be alert to your surroundings and ensure no one is unnecessarily left alone with a young member.
- Early help - Take action and provide support as soon as a problem emerges and before it gets any worse.
- Inclusion - Safeguard every individual because everyone is equally important and valuable. Everyone involved in Girlguiding has a right to equal protection from all types of harm and abuse.
- Resilience - Support individuals to develop the knowledge, ability and the confidence to be actively involved in and responsible for their own safety and wellbeing and to cope with life’s challenges.
- Stability - Develop on-going stable relationships of trust with all those you work with. This means you are more likely to notice if something is wrong.
- Respect - Treat everyone with the expectation that they are responsible and accountable rather than not.
- Advocacy - Help others to put forward their own point of view.
- Accountability - Always respond if you are concerned; never assume someone else has or someone else will.
What to do if you have a concern
If you have a concern about a girl, young woman or adult in Girlguiding you should read our A Safe Space pocket guide and follow the procedure set out in our process for receiving disclosures and our process for allegations and concerns.
You can also contact the HQ Safeguarding team on:
Tel: 0207 834 6242 ext. 3037 (usual office hours)
Out of hours emergency phone: 07508 032997 (5pm - 10pm Monday - Friday and 9am - 10pm Saturday/Sunday). Please do not text the out of hours number as we are unable to access these messages.
Email: [email protected]
Please note don’t forget to let the HQ Safeguarding team know ASAP if you call the police.