Lead into guiding
A new way to find and inspire young volunteers to get involved with Girlguiding
Get to know the Lead into guiding resource
This resource pack has been put together to help you recruit young people into guiding as volunteers and potential leaders.
Lead into guiding will help you connect with youth sector organisations and find young people who are interested in volunteering and leadership roles within guiding. The pack will also help you deliver a five-day training programme to prepare your newly-recruited members for leading with Girlguiding.
Lead into guiding is designed to be adaptable so you can also use it to train current members who want to progress into leadership or recruit adults who are new to guiding.
What’s in the pack?
Each pack contains a guide to this recruitment initiative, trainer notes, top-tips cards and workbooks that can help you:
- get in contact with youth organisations and bodies
- recruit young volunteers through taster sessions or recruitment events
- run a five day event to train volunteers, which includes two days of training that lead onto delivering two days of Holiday Brownies and a final day of evaluation
- support young volunteers into leadership roles through the Participant Workbook, which explains how the activities contribute to the Girlguiding Leadership qualification.
How else can I use the resource?
You can also adapt the programme and use the pack to:
- run a weekend residential to introduce young women into Rangers
- recruit new adult volunteers who haven’t been involved in guiding before
- give new members of Rangers an idea of the programme in their area
- get current members of Rangers started on their Leadership qualification.
Lead into guiding was developed through working with the National Citizen Service (NCS) but it can be used by anyone to recruit new volunteers through any volunteering route.
As well as the pack itself, we have created all the extra resources you’ll need to get you started recruiting young volunteers.
- Template letter or email to youth organisation – this can be edited depending on the organisation, at the moment it refers to NCS.
- Sign-up sheet for potential volunteers.
- Taster session template.
- 'Lead into guiding' email and application form for potential volunteers.
Run an event
These resources will help you run the Lead into guiding training and the Holiday Brownies event.
Get your copy of Lead into guiding
To get your copy of the pack, including a number of participant workbooks, email your country and region team directly. Include 'Lead into guiding pack request’ in your email subject line.