Volunteer Code of Conduct
As a Girlguiding volunteer you have a responsibility to help girls and young women reach their full potential through great guiding experiences - so it’s important that you’re clear about this responsibility
Your Volunteer Code of Conduct maps out what is expected of you at all times
This is Girlguiding’s expectation of how you work with others in Girlguiding (including volunteers, staff and girls) and members of the public (including parents and partner organisations).
By following it you will be able to check that you are always doing the right thing and behaving in the right way. You will be reminded of what Girlguiding stands for, of our mission, the Promise and of our values, to be caring, challenging, empowering, fun, inclusive and inspiring.
Most important of all you will be sure you are delivering a great guiding experience.
This Code supports you by making your responsibilities very clear for you. Take it seriously and follow it with pride.
Your Girlguiding Volunteer Code of Conduct
As a Girlguiding volunteer you must always:
- be a good role model with behaviour and an attitude that are in line with our values and the Promise
- comply with all applicable UK laws and guidance. If your unit is based outside the UK or you are part of an activity outside the UK, you must also abide by the law of that country
- make sure you follow Girlguiding policies and procedures and re-read them from time to time as they may be amended
- be responsible and accountable in the way you perform your role
- be fair and treat everyone with respect and dignity in accordance with our Equality and Diversity policy
- respect others’ privacy in line with our policies and guidance
- communicate with others in an open and respectful way whether in person, by phone, writing or digital media
- work together with Girlguiding members, their parents/carers and members of the public to promote Girlguiding's mission and values.
As a Girlguiding volunteer you must not act fraudulently or dishonestly, or do anything which brings (or is likely to bring) Girlguiding into disrepute or have a negative impact on Girlguiding or its reputation.
What happens if I don’t follow the Code?
Where someone doesn’t follow the Code it is referred to as a breach. If someone believes you have acted in a way that breaches this Code they are entitled to let Girlguiding know and Girlguiding will formally investigate.
If you breach the Code you may have your membership restricted or withdrawn, in accordance with the policy for Managing Concerns about Adult Volunteers.
Published: 30 March 2017
Girlguiding policies and procedures are reviewed and updated from time to time as part of a review cycle.