Volunteer Code of Conduct
As a Girlguiding volunteer you have a responsibility to help girls and young women reach their full potential through great guiding experiences - so it’s important that you’re clear about this responsibility
Approved: 30 August 2019
Content owner: Quality
Your Volunteer Code of Conduct maps out what is expected of you at all times.
This is Girlguiding’s expectation of how you work with others in Girlguiding, including volunteers, staff and girls, and members of the public, including parents and partner organisations.
By following it you'll be able to check that you're doing the right thing and behaving in the right way. You'll be reminded of what Girlguiding stands for, of our mission, the Promise and of our values, to be caring, challenging, empowering, fun, inclusive and inspiring.
Most important of all, you'll be sure you are helping deliver our programme, which makes a great guiding experience. All volunteers contribute to good programme delivery, whether you're in a unit role working with young members or supporting other adults in guiding.
This Code supports you by making your responsibilities clear for you. Take it seriously and follow it with pride.
Your Girlguiding Volunteer Code of Conduct
As a Girlguiding volunteer you must always:
- Be a good role model with behaviour and an attitude that are in line with our values and the Promise.
- Comply with all applicable UK laws and guidance. If your unit is based outside the UK or you are part of an activity outside the UK, you must also abide by the law of that country.
- Make sure you follow Girlguiding policies and procedures and re-read them regularly so you are informed of updates. If you have gaps in your understanding, talk to your local commissioner or adviser.
- Deliver the Girlguiding programme to young members if you are a unit volunteer. When volunteering with adults in guiding, support them to meet the Girlguiding programme requirements, to play your part in giving a consistently great Girlguiding experience.
- Be responsible and accountable in the way you perform your role.
- Be fair and treat everyone with respect and dignity in accordance with our Equality and Diversity policy.
- Respect privacy in line with our policies and guidance.
- Communicate in an open and respectful way, whether in person, by phone, writing or digital media.
- Work together with Girlguiding members, their parents or carers and members of the public to promote Girlguiding's mission and values.
As a Girlguiding volunteer you must not act fraudulently or dishonestly. Or do anything which brings, or is likely to bring, Girlguiding into disrepute or have a negative impact on Girlguiding or its reputation.
What happens if I don’t follow the Code?
Where someone doesn’t follow the Code, it's known as a breach. If someone believes you've acted in a way that breaches this Code, they are entitled to let us know and we will formally investigate.
If you breach the Code you may have your membership restricted or withdrawn, in accordance with the policy for Managing concerns about adult volunteers.