Young Leader Qualification
If you're between 14 and 18, you can develop your leadership skills while supporting a local unit with the Young Leader Qualification
Take your next step towards leadership in guiding
The Young Leader Qualification (YLQ) is designed to help you take an active, positive part in running a Rainbow, Brownie or Guide unit. It is open to anyone in Rangers or The Senior Section aged 14 to 18.
Why should I get involved?
You will develop skills in leadership, communication and team working - all which make impressive additions to any CV. Working towards the YLQ will also help you to contribute more to your local unit Leadership Team and become more confident in your role. Finally, if you decide to move on to the Leadership Qualification (LQ), you will find that you have already completed several of the required modules.
I liked doing my Young Leader Qualification as it built up my confidence and I enjoy working with young children. It has helped me to get a job as I am more confident and able to speak to more people. - Holly, 15
What does it entail?
The qualification consists of six practical modules, which are completed at the same time as volunteering with a unit.
- Module 1: GO and sectional training - focuses on the Girlguiding membership system (Go!) and learning more about the section you are working with.
- Module 2: Leadership - looks at different leadership styles and when you should use them, for example with girls of different ages.
- Module 3: Planning - allows you to demonstrate how well you understand the programme for the section you volunteer with. It will help you to make sure that the programme is right for the range of ages and abilities in your unit, that all girls take part in planning the programme, and the activities are enjoyable for the girls.
- Module 4: Working with girls - allows you to demonstrate that you understand the girls you work with and can provide the best opportunities for them to grow and develop.
- Module 5: Local guiding - looks at the structure of guiding in your local area and how you are supported within this.
- Module 6: Your role in guiding - is about you showing that you understand the Promise and Law, and your commitment to guiding.
You need to be helping out a unit as a Young Leader before you begin this qualification, so talk to your Leader or your local Commissioner to find out if there are units in your area that you could support.
Take the Lead
Download a copy of the Young Leader Qualification workbook to get started. You'll also need to get hold of a copy of the Look Wider and More Record Book from the Girlguiding shop.