Keep warm, sing, laugh and cook
After a wet and muddy day outdoors there's nothing better than snuggling around a campfire, roasting marshmallows and playing games, once the girls have learned how to make one of course!
A campfire is a traditional guiding activity where songs and other group activities take place around a small fire.
If you are planning a larger bonfire, please see the guidance on bonfire safety.
To run a campfire with girls, you will need to find a suitable and safe venue with space for the fire and for any activities you plan to do.
See safety regulations for campfires.
If the campfire is happening outside of your normal meeting time and venue, or outside of a residential event, an Information and Consent for Event/Activity form is required to participate in this activity.
- You will need at least two people to run a campfire event; one to lead the songs and activities, and one to maintain the fire.
- The person building and maintaining the fire needs to be experienced at running safe campfires.
- Choose an area which is away from trees, shrubs and overhanging branches.
- Keep enough sand/earth/water nearby to extinguish the fire.
- Never leave the fire unattended.
- Make a ring around the campfire out of stones to contain the ash.
- Ensure girls sit a safe distance from the fire.
You will find further fire safety guidance on our bonfire safety page.
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity
An Activity Information and Consent form is required to participate in this activity - PDF
A Risk Assessment form is required for this activity -
Remember - you can use one consent form for multiple activities