The Senior Section Permit
Learn how to take your peers on trips away with The Senior Section Permit
Members of The Senior Section have the exciting opportunity to work towards The Senior Section permits - aimed at equipping you with the skills and knowledge to take younger members on trips away. The two permits will boost your camping knowledge, experience and confidence and also empower you to make the right decisions when things don't go to plan.
The Senior Section Permit is one of the most useful qualifications I have obtained during my time in guiding. It means I can now take guiding members on a range of different residential trips I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. - Abby, member of The Senior Section
The two types of permits available are:
- The Overnight Permit - this allows you to take a group of between four to eight Guides or fellow members from The Senior Section away for an overnight experience (including yourself).
- The Senior Section Permit - this allows you to do so for a longer period of two nights or more.
Each permit is made up of modules, which you can complete individually or in sets. Each module relates to a different area of how to plan and run a residential event and different modules are required for different types of events.
What do I have to do?
The permits are broken up into modules, which you can complete in any order you like. However, you may want to start by taking on the first three - and gaining your Overnight Permit - to build your confidence and experience.
To gain the Overnight Permit you need to complete Modules 1 to 3.
- Module 1 – Plan an event
- Module 2 – Organise and administrate an event
- Module 3 – Plan for the safety and security of the participants
To gain The Senior Section Permit you need to complete Modules 1 to 3, and then the following additional modules.
- Module 4 – Organise the catering
- Module 5 – Make health and first aid arrangements
- Module 6 – Organise a programme of activities for participants
Modules 7 to 9 are optional modules you can complete depending on the type of event you are leading.
- Module 7 – Organise the care and maintenance of camping equipment
- Module 8 – Prepare and run a mobile expedition
- Module 9 – Travelling abroad
Remember: Parental consent is required for all participants under 18 years old. Check our guidance on girl-led residentials for everything you need to run your event safely.
Compatibility with other guiding awards and training
Some of the above modules are equivalent to those in the Going Away With Scheme. If you have already done Going Away With, you do not need to repeat the same permit modules.
If you have completed the Guide Camp Permit, there may be some parts of The Senior Section Permit which can already be signed off.