Friend to animals
Show how much you know about pets and other animals
This badge will be retired on 22 July 2019 as we move over to our new programme of activities, badges and awards.
Do one clause from each section or do all the clauses from one section.
- Make a display about your favourite pet animal showing:
- what it eats
- where it comes from
- what kind of exercise it needs
- how it likes to play.
- Find out about working animals, like guide dogs or horses. Explain how they are trained and why they are useful.
- Choose an animal charity and find out about its work. Help support its work, for example by joining a sponsored event.
- Draw a picture or write a poem or story about a pet. Show what makes it special and individual.
- Make a display about an endangered animal. Include details about:
- where it lives
- what it eats
- why it is endangered.
- Choose a charity or organisation that helps protect endangered animals. Help support its work, for example by joining a sponsored event.
- Find out about some animals that are already extinct. Explain why this has happened, and what can be done to make sure other animals don’t become extinct.
- Make up a quiz, game or activity about endangered animals for your Six.
Zoos, animal sanctuaries and wildlife reserves
- Visit your nearest zoo, animal sanctuary or wildlife reserve. Find out about some of the animals that live there, including at least one you hadn’t heard of before. Make a scrapbook about your visit.
- Look at the different colours and patterns of animals. Explain why animals need camouflage. Use some of the patterns you see in a piece of art, for example a face mask.
- Describe how life is different for animals that live in the wild to those that live in captivity.
- Find out how some zoos’ conservation work helps to protect endangered animals.
- Get details of the adoption schemes that are run by some zoos and sanctuaries.
- Know why humans are a threat to animals, and what can be done about it. Make a poster or leaflet showing how Brownies can help.
- Imitate five animals for the rest of your Six to guess.
- Know where your local vet’s surgery is and when it is open. Explain:
- why your pet might need to visit the vet
- what you would do if you found a sick or stray animal.
- Make a book about animals for a young child. Choose at least five animals and say where they live, what they eat and what their babies are called.
Need any help?
These organisations all help animals.
- The Blue Cross
- Cats Protection
- Dogs Trust
- People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA)
- The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA)
Try this way
- Meet a working animal and its owner
- Visit an animal charity or rescue centre to find out what they do.
- If you complete a different option from each section, or another complete section, you can have another Friend to animals badge.