North, south, east, west
Includes: Outdoors, Adventurous activities, Nature and the great outdoors
Fun with the compass
Help girls remember the points of the compass and introduce the skill of orienteering.
- Using a compass, show the girls how to find north from a central point. Then ask them to choose an object that is directly north (for example, a tree, a doorstep, or a post).
- Divide girls into three groups and ask one to find south, one to find east and one to find west.
- Each group then decides on an object that lies directly south, directly east and directly west.
- Ask everyone to gather in the centre of the playing area so groups can share their object.
- Then call out ‘north’, ‘south, ‘east’ or ‘west’ – and everyone must run to touch the object that lies in that direction.
- Play a few rounds of the game, and then get girls to find the intercardinal points (north-east, north-west, south-east, south-west) and choose objects for these.
- Play the game again using all eight points of the compass.
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity