Be 'smarties' about tolerance
Use a much-loved sweet to encourage girls to be inclusive and sensitive.
- Ask girls to sit in a circle facing each other.
- Give each girl a sweet and ask her to place it carefully under her tongue – she must not chew or swallow it!
- Explain that everyone in the circle is unique and that this is what makes them special – in the same way that the sweets are different colours, they are all different characters.
- Explain that they are going to work in groups who have the same coloured sweet. Ask them to remove their sweets from their mouths.
- The girls should discover that all of the sweets are now the same as the colour should have disappeared!
- Explain that although everyone is different on the outside, we are all similar on the inside. We are all human beings with feelings, hopes, dreams and so on.
- Ask the girls to list things that everyone has in common. Are there some things that make everyone the same?
- Ask the girls to think about how our differences can be acknowledged and celebrated.
Subjects like equality can encourage lively debate. Make sure everyone gets a say and manage any challenges from girls by following the guidance set out in our Guiding Conversation on behaviour.
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity