Fun with firelighters
Get girls to try out different homemade firelighters.
Make the firelighters as follows.
- Ask the girls to cut the egg cartons apart to make separate pots, and then stuff them with tumble drier fluff.
- Place a short piece of candle wick into each pot, leaving a small end sticking out.
- Melt the wax in an old bowl, placed inside a larger bowl of hot water. When it had melted, pour it over the top of the pot, sealing in the fluff.
- Get girls to fill the toilet roll inserts with sawdust and/or shredded paper.
- Wrap the rolls in newspaper and twist the ends like a Christmas cracker.
Challenge the girls to use the lighters to build fires, working out which is most effective.
Hot wax can cause burns – handle very carefully and use pot holders when melting the wax. Take extra precautions when lighting fires and keep a bucket of water nearby to use if necessary.
Stay safe when conducting adventurous activities by following our risk management guidelines.
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity