Marvel at a fireworks display
Fireworks can be truly impressive and girls and young women of all ages can enjoy watching the lights explode across the sky.
Fireworks are popular at events and celebrations. As they can be unpredictable and dangerous, it is recommended that guiding groups attend organised displays rather than organise their own. If you do wish to organise your own display, please follow the regulations below.
The Girlguiding Public Liability insurance covers members of Girlguiding organising fireworks themselves, but does not cover anyone else doing so. If hiring a professional fireworks operator, they must have their own liability insurance that will cover injury to third parties. You should request a copy of this.
The Girlguiding Personal Accident policy covers members, recognised volunteers and anyone who has been asked to help at a guiding event.
See safety regulations for more information on using fireworks safely.
If you decide to organise your own fireworks:
- Follow the Heath and Safety Executive (HSE) advice on organising firework displays.
- Follow the instructions on the fireworks carefully.
- Ensure that fireworks comply with British Standards or are CE marked.
- Ensure that fireworks state the setting they are made for (indoor, garden or display) and are used in the setting stated.
- Inform the police, fire brigade and any neighbours of the activity.
- One or two designated adults must be in control of the fireworks, and no children must be allowed inside the designated fireworks area.
- Ensure appropriate fire fighting equipment is available.
Sparklers are a common cause of injuries. For this reason, the use of sparklers at guiding events is strongly discouraged, especially for younger girls.
If you do decide to give sparklers to young members:
- explain the potential danger to girls
- ensure users stand far enough apart so they cannot accidentally cause injury to each other
- ensure they wear gloves
- have a bucket of water ready to extinguish the sparklers, and in case of burns.
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity