Discuss the role of women in sport
Get girls discussing equality, and sharpening their debating skills
1. To set up the debate about women in sport you will need two teams. One will argue for and the other against a given statement, such as ‘Girls and boys have equal opportunities in sport’ or ‘Female participation in sport can help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals’.
2. Give both teams some time to plan their arguments.
3. For the debate itself, each team will have a time limit in which to put across its arguments. They will then have the opportunity to answer any questions or make counter-arguments.
4. At the end of the debate, hold a vote to see if girls side with the ‘for’ team or with the ‘against’ team.
5. Here are some further questions about gender and sport that unit members could also consider.
- How could girls be further encouraged to participate in sport?
- How does sport empower girls and women?
You could also encourage them to find out about ground-breaking female athletes
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity