Learn to belly dance
Keep fit and have fun as you learn this historic dance from Southern Iraq.
- Start by standing up straight with both feet flat on the floor and hip width apart.
- Then try a hip twist. Keeping your hips level, twist the right hip forwards, and then back. Practise this, and then try with the left hip.
- Up-and-down hips. Still standing up straight, lift your right hip up and then down. Practise this, and then try with the left hip.
- A figure of eight. Imagine you're standing in the middle of a figure of eight drawn on the ground. Follow it with your hips in one direction, and then try it the other direction.
- An arm wave. Move your right arm up above your hand and flick your wrist. As the right arm moves down, bring the left up and keep moving like this.
If you have Internet access at your meeting place, you could look for some belly dancing instructional videos online.
It’s important to make all girls feel included – especially when exploring diverse cultures. Read our guidance on including all girls.
|Section||Number of girls per adult|
How many adults are needed?
Use this calculator to find out the ratio of girls to adults that is required for this activity