Discover the great outdoors with our Walking Courses
From navigating tricky countryside to scaling mountains - there's a course suitable for your needs and experience
Lead your girls on fun walking expeditions
Walking with girls is an adventure. Whether it’s rambling across hills or orienteering through fields, it’s a chance to discover the natural world, and spend time out in the open air to think and re-charge.
These courses will develop your skills so that you can lead girls on walking expeditions. There are different qualifications for different types of walking – from understanding the basics of map reading to climbing mountains.
If you have considered the Girlguiding Walking Scheme, I would completely recommend it. It’s so well set out with the best trainers you could ever wish to have and great fun. Best of all, it means you can take the girls on walks and let them experience new things - Michelle, Level 3 course participant
Who can apply?
The courses are open to all Girlguiding members aged 18 and over who have relevant walking experience.
What types of courses are available?
Walking Scheme Level 1 – gain confidence planning and leading walks in lowland countryside.
Walking Scheme Level 2 – get qualified to take girls on walks in open countryside.
Walking Scheme Level 3 – if you are already qualified at Level 2 with further walking experience, this course is a natural next step. However, you do not have to have completed Level 2 to do Level 3 if you have relevant experience.
Outdoor First Aid – attend a 16 hour+ first aid course focussed on the outdoor environment, for those who hold Level 2 Walking Scheme and above.
Social Walking – complete quality walking days for your logbook, to support you completing and renewing your walking qualifications.
Mountain Training Hill and Moorland Leader (HML) Assessment – open to those with 40 quality hill walking days, and may be completed on its own or as well as the Level 3 assessment.
Mountain Training Mountain Leader Award – for those with experience in remote and extreme country who have logged at least 20 quality mountain days.
When are courses running?
Courses are running throughout the year, and each course is run by a different provider. Check below to see what course is being run, where and by who.
Country/Region courses are open to all members – you don’t need to be a member of that specific Country/Region to take part.
2019 course dates
- Walking Level 2 Training and Assessment weekend – North West England 22-24 March
- Social Walking Weekend - Anglia - 7-9 June (Lake District)
- Walking Level 1 Training and Assessment weekend - South West England 7-9 June
- Walking Level 2 Training and Assessment weekend - South West England + LaSER (book via SWE) - 27 - 29 September
- Walking Level 3 / ML courses week - National Walking Team (provisional date) - 23-28 September (Lake District)
- Level 2 Training and Assessment weekend - Midlands - 1-3 November
- Outdoor 1st Aid - Scotland - 8-10 November
- Walking Level 1 and 2 Training and Assessors weekend - Cymru - 15-17 November (Dolygaer)
- Level 2 Training and Assessment / Social walking weekend - Anglia - 15 - 17 November
- Walking Trainers and Assessors weekend - National Walking Team – Lake District, 22-24 November
How can I find out more and book?
For courses run by:
- Countries and Regions: contact the relevant Country and Region directly
- The Girlguiding national walking team: please email a completed application form and copy of your walking logbook to [email protected] by 1 July 2019
- You can apply for a bursary for up to 50% of your course costs. Please email [email protected] for more information
Costs vary depending on the course and provider. Make sure to contact your local County or Country/Region for funding opportunities to support adventure in your area.