Join us in the 2.6 Challenge
Support Girlguiding with the 2.6 Challenge
What do dancing for 26 minutes, walking for 2.6 miles , singing 26 campfire songs, or cooking 26 cupcakes all have in common?
These are just a few of the ways you can take part in the 2.6 Challenge.
The Virgin Money London Marathon was due to take place on Sunday, 26 April. With thousands of fundraising events being cancelled or postponed due to coronavirus (Covid-19), many charities, including Girlguiding, are losing vital income.
The Virgin Money London Marathon organisers have created a new campaign - the 2.6 Challenge - to help raise funds to save charities like Girlguiding.
It all kicks off on Sunday 26 April.
What to do
People of all ages are taking on the 2.6 Challenge with a host of activities – from walking, running or cycling 2.6 miles, juggling for 2.6 minutes, to holding an online sing song with 26 friends. The ideas and options are endless!
The activity of your choice should be based on the numbers 2.6 or 26.
The only requirement is that you follow government guidelines on exercise and social distancing. Most people are taking part from Sunday 26 April but you can do your activity whenever is most convenient for you.
There are just five simple steps to take:
- Dream up your 2.6 challenge
- Support Girlguiding by fundraising or donating. Just head to twopointsixchallenge.co.uk to donate £26 – or whatever you can afford - to Girlguiding nationally or locally, or set up your fundraising page. If the unit, division or district you want to support isn’t on JustGiving yet, get in touch with your commissioner or unit leader and ask them how you can donate.
- Challenge your friends and family to do their own 2.6 Challenge. Challenge your unit to do the same.
- Complete your challenge.
- Share a photo or video of your challenge on social media with #TwoPointSixChallenge and tagging @Girlguiding for Twitter, @GirlguidingUK for Facebook, @Girlguiding for Instagram.
To register on JustGiving as a charity, your unit, district or division will need a Gift Aid number or its own charity number (they can’t use the national charity number 306016) to prove their charitable status. Read the JustGiving rules.
Stuck for ideas?
There’s plenty to choose from. Here’s some to help you:
- Move around your garden 26 times (run, walk, hop, crawl…)
- Do 26 press ups
- Walk 2.6 miles
- Do 26 skips
- Sing 26 campfire songs
- Jump up and down 26 times
- Pitch and strike a tent 26 times
- Put a playlist together and dance for 26 minutes
- Bake 26 cupcakes
- Record how many steps you can do in 26 minutes
- How many times can you say your Promise in 2 minutes 6 seconds
- Complete 26 good deeds in your local area
- Units could clock up running 26.2 miles between them
- How many times can you tie your guiding necker in 2 minutes 6 seconds
- Sign the 26 letters of the alphabet
- How many times can you win rock paper scissors in 2 minutes 6 seconds
- Use 26 things to make a big Trefoil
- Sleeping bag relay - a relay back and forth to pick up a marshmallow 26 times in your mouth and move it from one bowl to another at a table
For even more ideas download this activity pack for inspiration.