Sharing photos and videos online
Guidance on whether you can take photos or videos of girls and how you can use them
Your guide to photo and video permissions
Taking and sharing photos and videos is a good way to show people all the exciting events and activities that guiding offers girls and young women.
However, there are a number of reasons why parents or the girls themselves might not want to be photographed. Girlguiding offers the following permissions on the Starting… form for each section to help girls and their parents take control of how their images are used.
- I am happy for photographs/videos to be taken of my daughter during guiding activities and used in national and local guiding publicity, communications, publications or digital channels (eg websites, social media).
- I am happy for photographs/videos to be taken of my daughter during guiding activities for use within the unit only, not used for national and local guiding publicity, communications, publications or digital channels (eg websites, social media).
- I do not wish any photographs/videos to be taken of my daughter while she undertakes guiding activities.
Large scale events - photo/video permissions differ for large-scale events (where over 100 participants are present). Consent forms will state clearly if an event is large scale, and will request parents to tell Leaders if they do not wish photos/videos of their daughter to be taken at the event.
Sharing photos and videos safely
- Check parental permission before sharing photos or videos of young members on websites, social networking sites and other media sharing sites such as YouTube.
- Avoid mentioning members’ full names or including other information that could reveal their identities. Be aware that members’ full names will be visible on Facebook and Twitter if you tag them, so think carefully about the content you are posting.
- Make sure girls are aware that they should not share photos or videos of their friends online without permission from parents/carers.
- Consider disabling the ability to comment on YouTube videos. This is a great interactive feature, but it also allows users to post negative comments or abuse.
Stay safe online
Find out more about how to use the internet and social media safely from A Safe Cyberspace.