Grants to grow
Applications for this grant are now closed.
We don't want financial barriers to hold anyone back from experiencing the fun and adventure we offer at Girlguiding.
Through Grants to Grow we are able to help existing groups positively impact on the lives of even more girls.
Thanks to WAGGGS and the UPS Foundation for the funding to make this possible.
Who could apply for the grant?
The grant was available eligible units in areas of deprivation who were identifed on the eligible unit postcode list, or units who had 50% or more of their girls travel to the unit from the top 25% of their countries LSOAs (Lower Super Output Areas) of deprivation.
Through the grant, we will be awarding 1,000 £50 vouchers to give to units in areas of deprivation. Everyone will be notified about the status of their application on 10 December 2019.
Ways to grow
Earlier this year we ran a similar grant to help units welcome more girls. We asked applicants what helped them grow their unit. Key themes included:
- Promoting guiding by word of mouth based on offering quality, fun and adventurous guiding programme and opportunities.
- Actively recruiting girls – especially through: schools; handing out leaflets and putting up posters - available for free to order from the Girlguiding shop or from our Online Design Centre; recruiting on social media platforms; and holding special ‘bring a friend’ nights.
- Helping girls move up a section by developing good relationships and doing joint activities with feeder groups.
- Recruiting more volunteers via local recruitment pushes and the national #InspireGirls volunteer recruitment campaign.
- Making guiding more accessible by ensuring costs were kept low and helping with the cost of uniform/subs and offering flexible guiding and changing the day/time/place of meeting.
We also ensured girls could pay weekly, so they didn't have to find a terms money at a time. We make sure we have uniform available, and they can pay weekly for items - Grants to grow applicant
I've been awarded a voucher - what can I spend it on?
Vouchers awarded to units can be used to help purchase things like Unit Meeting Activity and Skills Builders packs to help deliver an exciting and varied programme. They can also be used for badge books and handbooks, programme badges, promise badges and certificates to welcome your new members. Check the full list of items here.