Talking about sex and relationships
Tools to help you start conversations about sex and relationships
Be prepared to talk about sex and relationships - and feel confident in your approach
Forming and exploring relationships of all types is important to girls and young women as they grow up.
'Let's Talk about Sex and Relationships' is a series of resources to help you to respond to their questions whenever they come up. They are also full of ideas on how to incorporate these conversations into planning for your unit meetings.
Sex and relationships guidance isn't part of the formal programme but we believe that we share a responsibility to respond in a positive way to the sex and relationships education needs of our young members.
How we made Let's Talk
- The content of the resources was defined in consultation with girls, Leader and parents from all sections.
- The resources were written by a group of Girlguiding volunteers, with expert assistance from Brook, the sexual health advisory service and Stonewall, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans charity.
Let's Talk about Sex and Relationships: Advice for Leaders
This guidance for Leaders will give you have the confidence to respond to questions and concerns raised by girls, and to make decisions about sex and relationships education (SRE) for your unit and individual girls.
Information sheets for sections
The Advice for Leaders is supported by information sheets with activity ideas for each section to help you explore these issues in an appropriate way.
- Let's Talk about Relationships with Rainbows - from time to time a Rainbow will ask you some questions on relationships. Understand how to give talk appropriately with these young members and respond to their questions.
- Let's Talk About Relationships with Brownies - support girls in Brownies as they develop their confidence in talking and thinking about feelings and relationships and they learn about parts of the body.
- Let's Talk about Sex and Relationships with Guides - Guides are increasingly aware of how they are changing - and how their relationships with others are changing too. Be prepared to help them explore these feelings.
- Let's Talk about Sex and Relationships with The Senior Section - members of The Senior Section learn about sex and relationships at school, through their peers, the media and actual life experiences. SRE is also part of their Girlguiding programme. Find out how to provide extra support.
- Let's Talk about Sex and Relationships at Camps and on Residential Events - time away with your girls is often when girls choose to talk about - and to explore - sex and relationships issues. Here is guidance to help you decide your approach to answering their questions.
Want to talk about SRE?
If you have questions about the best way to approach SRE with girls in your unit then contact your Commissioner or our team at HQ.
More help with planning
Use the Activity Finder
To choose an exciting activity to do with your unit