Opportunities and awareness
Stay up-to-date with the opportunities that guiding provides for you, your unit and your team
When you know what's going on in guiding, you and your girls get a better experience
Knowing what's going on in guiding at a local, national and international level - and exploring the latest news with your unit - makes for good guiding. Keep your programme interesting by staying aware of opportunities open to girls and encouraging your unit to access them.
Do some reading
- Subscribe to - and read - Girlguiding and local guiding e-newsletters.
- Take guiding magazine with you when you're taking the train or bus or in a cafe. Use any spare five minutes to get reading.
Share opportunities with girls
- Let girls know about local, national and international opportunities within and outside of guiding. If the funds aren't available, consider innovative ways to fundraise.
- Encourage girls to check the website for new activities and games, and to use them in unit activities in and outside the meeting place.
Look out for new resources and activities
- Find out what new resources are available, including free ones! You could run a meeting using activity ideas from guiding magazine.
- Ask guests to run a session for your unit. You could try Peer Educators from '4', Girlguiding's peer education initiative, the Duke of Edinburgh's Award volunteers or young women working on their Queen's Guide Award.
Find things to do
Search our events and opportunities to find new ways to get involved with guiding.