Membership and Recruitment policy: Adults in guiding
Our policy on what adult members and recognised volunteers do, what recruitment checks they must go through, and what it means to be a member
All adult members and recognised volunteers must:
- Agree to abide by Girlguiding’s policies.
- Consent for their data to be held on Go! (Guiding Organiser) and, if appropriate to their role, be responsible for ensuring that details of young members are added and maintained on Go!
- Undergo the appropriate recruitment process for any role undertaken on joining.
- Undergo a criminal record check every five years, if undertaking 'regulated activity'.
- Undergo a criminal record check if they have not had an active adult volunteer role within Girlguiding for three years or more and returning to a role where they will be undertaking 'regulated activity'.
- Undergo a criminal record check if they move into another Girlguiding County and undertake a role where they will be in 'regulated activity', if it has been more than three years since any previous Girlguiding criminal record check.
Insurance for our members changes once they reach 75, so a formal review will be held with the volunteer and a member of the County team. The completed insurance notification is sent to Girlguiding to add into Go!.
Adult members can be:
- women aged 18 and over who have made or make the Promise, are actively involved in and responsible for the delivery of guiding to girls and young women and agree to abide by Girlguiding’s policies and code of conduct
- women aged 18 and over who have made or make the Promise, continue to support Girlguiding and agree to abide by its policies and code of conduct
- women and men aged 18 and over who do not make the Promise but who believe in the ethos of guiding, wish to support it and agree to abide by Girlguiding’s policies and code of conduct
- women and men who belong to the Trefoil Guild.
Adult membership of Girlguiding is voluntary and is open to application from women and men aged 18 years and over, regardless of faith, race, culture, nationality or sexual orientation, provided they complete Girlguiding’s recruitment process if appropriate to the role.
- Female members may wear the Promise badge (if they have made the Promise) and the Leadership Qualification badge (if they have gained this qualification).
- All adult members may wear guiding clothing or activity wear appropriate to the role and occasion.
- All adult members receive free delivery of guiding magazine and may take out a subscription to the Trefoil Guild magazine if they wish.
- All adult members have access to the appropriate parts of the secure website.
- All adult members undertaking an active role have opportunities for further training.
- All adult members with a role are eligible for Long Service Awards and other awards.
- Adults may apply to become members of Girlguiding without undertaking a specific role.
Most roles in guiding require the individual to be a member. Exceptions are:
- Occasional Helper
- Residential Occasional Helper
- Friend of Guiding
- Committee member
- Treasurer (Division level and below)
Membership is not mandatory for holders of these roles but it should be encouraged. Only adult members receive a member or recognised volunteer card on payment of the annual subscription. Non-member volunteers undertaking these other roles are still required to undergo the appropriate recruitment process for the role. However, they do not pay an annual subscription so do not receive the benefits of membership.
Published: 8 September 2016