Travelling abroad training resources
Give our volunteers the know-how so they can take their girls abroad
Support volunteers to go away with guiding
We want our young members to have as much opportunity as possible to grow and learn through adventure. One great way to guarantee this is by taking them on an exciting trip abroad.
To give our volunteers the knowledge and confidence they need to take their girls on holiday, we've created the Travelling abroad module, which contains five training sessions on planning and running a residential in another country. These sessions should inspire and motivate Leaders to take girls and young women away internationally, so you need to create an atmosphere that is fun and supportive.
Who can deliver the Travelling abroad module?
To deliver these sessions you need to either
- Hold or be working towards the International or Travelling abroad module 4 specialism
- Or be an international adviser
We strongly recommended that trainers and international advisers work together when delivering a session, so they can share their expert knowledge.
Delivering training on Travelling abroad
The training programme has three areas, and these are split into five two-hour sessions. Each session consists of a trainers' manual, containing a session plan and activity materials, and a PowerPoint.
- Discovering international guiding trainers' manual and PowerPoint - enthuse participants and increase awareness of the wide variety of international experiences available to all members.
- Planning and preparing trainers' manual and PowerPoint - explore trip administration, budgeting, travel logistics, insurance requirements and managing finances while in a foreign country.
- Participants and parents trainers' manual and PowerPoint - discuss managing kit and equipment, fundraising, planning briefing weekends and parents’ meetings, and considering the culture and traditions of the destination.
- Leading and evaluating trainers' manual and PowerPoint - support participants to lead and evaluate an overseas residential event.
- Further afield trainers' manual and PowerPoint - develop leaders’ skills and knowledge so they can lead more complex international trips.
- Certificate of completion - certificate to print off and give to all participants who have completed Travelling abroad.
Notes on using this training
The information in each of the above packs supports the running of each session individually.
If you are combining sessions, you won’t need to deliver the icebreaker activities every time. Some activities are marked as optional, so you can lengthen or shorten your session to suit the time available.