Programme training resources
Resources to help you train on the Girlguiding programme
Help volunteers understand our programme so they can give girls the best guiding experience
Our programme is at the heart of all we do, so it's vital our leaders understand the core principles behind it. Through training our volunteers, you can help to ensure all girls get the same high-quality guiding.
Delivering training on the new programme
A full range of training resources will be available in July to support you in delivering training on the new programme. Check out the outline of the new modules that are being developed for this summer.
To help you support programme change, we have developed the following resources:
- We're going on a journey presentation - This regularly updated presentation provides an exciting overview of the changes to our programme.
- We're going on a journey session plan - Use this plan, along with the presentation, to deliver a 60-90 minute session about our journey to the new programme and what people can expect this summer.
- Change management presentation - Deliver change management sessions to help commissioners and advisors support leaders and volunteers as they get ready for the new programme.
- Change management session plan - Use this editable session plan with the presentation to deliver change management sessions to commissioners and advisors.
- Change management snakes and ladders resource - An activity you can use in your change management sessions.
- Getting ready for new programme - This new Guiding Conversation has been specially developed to talk about the changes to our programme.
We have a host of online resources to help you develop your knowledge of our programme, and gather ideas and inspiration for your training.
- The Girlguiding programme - Download and share our Guidance Notes for Leaders documents for a comprehensive overview of how to run our programme.
- Planning your programme - From involving girls in decision-making, to integrating the Promise and Law into activities, this includes lots of practical tips you can share with participants.
- The Five Essentials - This will help you explain how our programme links to these key elements of guiding.
- Guidance for activities - Ensure participants understand the importance of risk assessment, working with qualified instructors, and what to do if there's an accident.
- Activity finder - Find exciting activities to share in your sessions, and give participants great ideas for how to implement The Five Essentials.
There are a number of specific resources for Trainers too.
- Girls Learning to Lead: Training Pack for Trainers and Peer Educators - Run a session for Leaders and their Sixers or Patrol Leaders, to encourage girl-led guiding and explore ways to develop girls' leadership skills. This pack should ideally be delivered together with our peer educators.
- Out and About Trainers' Toolkit - Ensure leaders are equipped to take girls on exciting adventures outside of the meeting place. Our toolkit includes aims, objectives, a sample session plan and suggested activities.
- Together We Can Training Ideas - Use this resource to develop training for leaders on Together We Can, our all-section activity pack based on the UN’s eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
- Young Leader Qualification Trainers' Notes - Answers key questions about our Young Leader Qualification, and gives guidance on how to train those supporting young leaders.
Voices Against Violence
Voices Against Violence is a badge created by WAGGGS for girls in all sections to learn about healthy relationships, and how to keep themselves and their friends safe.
The comprehensive training materials below will help you run a session with no previous knowledge. However, we strongly encourage you to contact a local expert to help answer questions and concerns during a training session. You could put a call out to all local members to find an expert, or contact your nearest Women’s Aid or YWCA/Platform 51 centre.
- Introduction and Expectations
- Stop the Violence Campaign
- Gender Based Violence
- Voices Against Violence Curriculum
- Myths, Harmful Beliefs and Diversity
- Monitoring and Evaluation