Leading and managing people training resources
Explore how our volunteers can best support and collaborate with their teams
Enhance the leadership and management skills of our volunteers
Volunteers who lead or manage others need to be equipped to do so effectively.
As a trainer, it's important for you to understand the difference between leadership and management as training on these will require different approaches.
Training on management
Management is about organising, coordinating and following processes. It includes:
- Making sure that Girlguiding rules and policies are adhered to
- Making sure that deadlines are met
- Managing relationships within the team
- Keeping track of budgets and spending
When training, make sure you understand all of Girlguiding's processes, why they are in place and how they are used. Being confident in these processes will make it easier to clarify them for participants, and help volunteers understand what they mean in practice.
Training on leadership
Leadership is about inspiring and motivating others. It includes:
- Encouraging others to develop their skills
- Sharing long-term visions with the team
- Caring for the concerns of others
- Demonstrating good practice
When training on leadership, help participants to consider how the needs of their team members can be addressed and how their skills can be best used. Training will often involve time spent on reflection and sharing best practice.
Delivering training on leadership and management
We've created five toolkits on various aspects of leadership and management to use when delivering training.
- Managing change trainers' toolkit - help members to manage change with their teams.
- Managing conflict trainers' toolkit - information and activities to help address conflict.
- Building a team trainers' toolkit - guidance and activities to support the building of effective teams.
- Effective adult meetings trainers' toolkit - equip members to run positive and proactive meetings.
- Managing challenging behaviour in adults trainers' toolkit - support members to respond to challenging and unacceptable behaviour in adults.