1st Response training resources
Train members to be confident and skilled at providing support in medical emergencies
Girlguiding has two first aid courses - 1st Response and the 1st Response Refresher
These courses are designed so that they can easily be delivered by any adult with the appropriate skills and qualifications.
Who can deliver 1st Response?
To deliver any 1st Response course, you must have:
- a Girlguiding Trainer Qualification or any adult teaching or training qualification - for example - a sports coaching qualification
- a current, valid first aid qualification which involved at least 16 hours of training and an assessment
- up-to-date first aid knowledge - you must be able to answer questions from participants.
Doctors and nurses can also run 1st Response courses if they can show their Commissioner current experience of first aid skills by providing evidence in their professional training portfolio.
1st Response training can also be provided by two people who together fulfil the above requirements. For example, if you hold a 16-hour first aid qualification, but do not hold an adult teaching qualification, you can work with a Girlguiding Trainer to deliver these sessions.
If you're unable to find enough 1st Response instructors, don't forget that there may be volunteers who fit the above criteria in your area - so always ask your local team.
Delivering 1st Response training
The full 1st Response course lasts six hours, and the refresher course lasts two hours. It's important to download and follow the standard course plans below, rather than deliver your own variation of the training.
- 1st Response Full Course Training Plan, PowerPoint presentation and information sheets - outlines all that must be covered in the full six-hour course.
- 1st Response Refresher Training Plan and information sheets - outlines all that must be covered in the refresher course.
- 1st Response Course Book - this book is for participants to follow.
- Handout for participants on 1st Response updates - since our training has been recently updated to reflect Resuscitation Council guidelines, make sure participants have this handout to refer to. This resource is included in all new participant course books, but you might still need to print it for those with older copies.
The following printable resources support activities within the 1st Response course.
- Scenarios sheet one and scenarios sheet two - test participants' knowledge of what to do in real life first aid incidents.
- Condition cards - use these to discuss the signs, symptoms and treatment of various injuries and illnesses.
- Arrival at incident activity - discuss what needs to happen when a volunteer arrives on the scene of an incident.
- 1st Response quiz (available in multiple choice format) - quiz participants on what they've learned.
Certificates to give to participants can be obtained by calling Trading Services on 0161 941 2237.