Information for Rainbows, Brownies and Guides
Answers to all the questions girls might ask about changes to what they do as part of guiding
You may have heard what you're doing in Rainbows, Brownies and Guides is changing a bit
It might sound a bit strange but we think these new activities and badges will make guiding even more fun!
Watch the video to find out what's happening
Important things to know
Guiding will still be fun
The new programme will be full of amazing experiences and adventures, and it will make it easier for you to stay with us from Rainbows right up to The Senior Section.
There will be six special themes
That you will do activities and badges for.
- Know myself - all about getting to know who you are, and your role in Girlguiding and the wider world.
- Express myself - showing off and sharing your creativity with others.
- Be well - helping you look after your own and others’ physical and mental well-being.
- Have adventures - exploring the outdoors and nature.
- Take action - using your voice to help your local community and the wider world.
- Skills for my future - giving you all the right building blocks for you to become independent and successful in life.
There will be new fresh icons for these themes too.
You will still be able to earn badges
There will be lots of badges for you to work towards, and the same fun activities for you to enjoy every week with your friends.
- Unit activities - these are the things you enjoy each week in your unit meetings, either in small groups or with the whole pack. The activities will now be part of the six themes above.
- Skills-builder badges - badges you can earn while having fun in your unit activities. There will be six different stages within each one, so you can start wherever your current level is.
- Interest badges - badges you work towards on your own, choosing the things you’re most interested in.
- Anniversary badges - there will be new anniversary badges to celebrate each year and everything you learn by being part of Girlguiding.
- Activity theme awards and end of section awards - there will also be special new awards that celebrate your achievement within your section and the six themes. You can choose whether you want to work towards them or not.
The badges and awards you've already done will still count
You should be really proud of everything you've achieved so far. You’ll still be able to follow the current programme and earn the same badges for a while yet.
Rainbows, Brownies and Guides age groups will stay the same
Our three younger groups will stay the same, but our oldest group The Senior Section is changing. There will be a new name and a new look for girls aged 14 to 18, and they’ll do more exciting activities - you will get to join this new group too when you turn 14!
You will still have the same Leaders
And your extra special Young Leaders too.
Girlguiding will still be just for girls
When we asked girls like you what they’d like, they told us they wanted Girlguiding to still be just for girls. So no boys allowed!
It will take three years for these changes to happen
Three years seems like a long time, but we want to make sure we get it just right, so we’ll be asking for your help in trying everything out. Your Leaders will be able to keep you up to date with what’s happening when.
If you still have questions ask your Leader or another adult to email us. We will then make sure we make a page on the website or send a newsletter to your Leaders so they can tell you the answer.
Use the Activity Finder
To choose an exciting activity to do with your unit