Up your game
Our top tips on conquering your fears
Fearless Fun is our brand-new event for Brownies and Guides, jam-packed with friends, adventure and laughter. Girls will be able to try their hand at a range of activities, from flying high on the zipwires to scaling a climbing wall.
But we know some girls aren’t natural adrenaline junkies and might need a bit of help getting stuck in with the activities on offer. So, here’s a few tips to help them conquer their fears.
- Let them know that it’s ok just to give something a go. Even if they just take a couple of steps on Jacob’s Ladder, or two crates on the crate challenge, that’s great!
- Tell them to imagine themselves doing whatever it is they’re afraid of. For example, if they’re scared of taking on the climbing wall, help them picture making it to the top with a big smile on their face.
- Take some time to do a more chilled-out activity instead. Fearless Fun isn’t all about high-adrenaline – girls can also try geocaching, crafts and lots more.
- Encourage them to take deep breaths if they’re feeling scared. Breathing slowly and steadily will help some of the symptoms of fear, like sweaty palms and fast heartbeats.
- Make them laugh! Having a giggle is a great way to squash negative thoughts. After all, laughter’s the best medicine…
- When they’ve faced their fears and done whatever activity was scaring them, make sure you say a big well done.
Join us at Fearless Fun
Fearless Fun is taking place from 20-22 September 2019, at Blackland Farm, Foxlease and Waddow Hall. Tickets are £65-75, on sale now until 30 June 2019.
Do something unforgettable
There's always a way that you can get more involved with Girlguiding. We have events and opportunities for all ages across the UK and around the world.