New Year’s Honours
Seven amazing Girlguiding volunteers were recognised in the New Year’s Honours List
We’re delighted to see some of our amazing volunteers recognised in the New Year’s Honours List for services to guiding and their communities.
I was thrilled when I received the nomination letter as many parents have said, 'you should get a medal for all that you do voluntarily for Brownies’. It just took a couple of parents for this to happen! - Beverly Chidley
Our members this year received the following awards:
- Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE): Awarded for an outstanding achievement or service to the community. This will have had a long-term, significant impact and stand out as an example to others.
- British Empire Medal (BEM): Awarded for 'hands-on’ service to the local community. This could be a long-term charitable or voluntary activity, or innovative work of relatively short duration (3 to 4 years) that has made a significant difference.
- Valerie Cadd is a division president for the North East. She was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to education.
- Beverly Chidley is the leader of Leader the 4th Dustable Brownies in Anglia. She was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to Brownies and Girlguiding in Dunstable.
- Kathleen Greaves is a district administrator for London and the South East. She was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to young people.
- Amelia Mathewson is an occasional division helper in Scotland. She as awarded a British Empire Medal for services to the community in Levenmouth, Fife.
- Elizabeth Stafford is the leader of 1st Chapel-en-le-Frith (St Thomas Becket) Guides in the Midlands. She was awarded a Member of the Order of the British Empire for services to Girlguiding.
- Valerie Symon is the leader of the Woburn Rangers in Anglia. She was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to the community in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
- Tamsen Wetherall is a district commissioner and leader of the 7th Bridgewater Brownies South West. She was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to charitable fundraising and Girlguiding in Bridgwater.
Who would you nominate?
Did you know you can nominate people for the awards? Why not have a think about who you could nominate next year?