Our strategy 2020+
Making sure we’re delivering for girls in the future
We’ve come a long way – and we’re starting to think about what’s next
Since we launched our first strategy, Being Our Best, in 2015, Girlguiding, and the world around us, has changed a lot.
We're now looking to the future and our next five-year plan. The Strategy 2020+ Project will create a new strategy. The project started mid-2018 and will finish when the Girlguiding board of trustees approve the strategy. This is planned for June 2019. This gives us time to prepare for delivering the new strategy from January 2020.
What will our story be after 2020? What do we want to achieve for girls and young women? And how can we plan to get there? While our vision, values and mission will always stay the same, how we deliver on that vision can change.
That’s why we’re starting to think about the world after 2020 now – and that’s where we need your help.
How to get involved
In early 2019 we'll be running events across the country to hear from our members.
We've also developed some free new unit meeting activities for your units. These count towards the Know Myself theme awards and give girls the chance to share their thoughts on the future of Girlguiding.
What will we be asking about?
To start with, we'd like to hear from you about:
- The lives of girls and women, today and in the future. How have they changed? How will they change in the future? And what does it mean for Girlguiding?
- The difference that Girlguiding makes to the lives of our members, but also to our society as a whole.
- Our Girlguiding culture. Sometimes this is described as 'what we do when no one's watching' - our way of being, our values and how we behave.
- Reaching out to even more girls and adults. How can we encourage more people join guiding?
- How our young members can play an active role in and contribute to our decisions.
- How is Girlguiding seen by those within the movement and those outside it?
- How is Girlguiding structured and how is it governed – what works well and what are the challenges?
Here’s an overall roadmap of what we’ll be doing in the next year and how you and your girls can have your voices heard.
Summer 2018: we consulted with trustees, chief commissioners, lead volunteers and senior staff to find out what they think. We also attended events like Wellies and Wristbands to talk to girls and young women.
Autumn and winter 2018: interactive sessions will take place all around the country on lots of different elements of our strategy, including how our organisation is structured and governed, and what our culture is like.
Start of 2019: there’ll be opportunities for all members and staff to review the evolving strategy through an online survey. We’re planning a series of strategy summit events and a new unit meeting activity pack.
Summer 2019: the strategy is finalised with trustees and other senior stakeholders.
Before the end of 2019: we’ll be able to share the full strategy with everyone and how we’ll be rolling it out.