- Girlguiding is the largest youth organisation for girls in the
- More than 14 per cent of six year olds are in Rainbows.
- Adult volunteers give on average 120 hours a year.
- Girlguiding has around 450,000 young members aged 4 to 25.
- One in seven of all six-year-old girls in the UK are
- Around a quarter of all eight-year-old girls in the UK are
- One in ten of all 11-year-old girls in the UK are Guides.
- Members today can take part in a wide range of activities from
abseiling to party planning and from circus skills to
- Girlguiding is a founder member of the World Association of
Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, the largest youth organisation for
girls in the world with more than ten million members in 144
- Celebrity former members include Cat Deeley, Glenda Jackson,
Lorraine Kelly, Mo Mowlan, Anita Roddick, Helen Sharman (the first
British woman in space), Tanni Grey-Thompson, Zoe Ball, Emma
Thompson, Gail Porter, Carole Vorderman, Carol Smillie, Davina
McCall and Cherie Booth.
The hundreds of thousands of girls would:
- fill 8,333 double-decker buses
- fill the Royal Albert Hall 90 times
- fill Wembley Stadium five times, Cardiff’s Millennium
Stadium seven times and Celtic Park eight times
- fill more than 1,200 Boeing 747 jumbo jets
- fill 500 25,000-tonne cruise ships.
If all the girls held hands in a straight line, the line
would be 850 km long. That would be longer than 8,095 buses parked
end to end! They could also stretch around the M25 four and a half
times and reach from Bristol to Inverness.
Countries which have smaller populations than our number of
members include Barbados, Iceland, the Bahamas, the Maldives,
Malta, Luxembourg, Tonga and Equatorial Guinea.
Subscribe to be notified via
email of any updates made to this page.
Subscribe | View Subscriptions